Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find record of birth - INNISS - HELP!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2003 11:19

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me advice? I've been searching for my grandad JAMES FREDERICK INNISS (used Frederick as his first name). On his death cert I have his DOB as 13/11/1901, on his wedding cert in June 1924 he is listed as being 21 years old. Father's name on the same wedding cert is Frederick Inniss. I haven't been able to find any record of his birth on 1837, nothing on the 1901 census that seems to fit for him or his father - and I'm tearing my hair out now. Going to bed at 1am every morning, getting up late for work, now looking whilst I'm at work!! Please help!! Does the addiction wear off after a while?

Jackie

Jackie Report 19 Aug 2003 11:29

hi julie , im in same boat as you its driving me mad also , maybe you will have to do same as me and try different country for birth. i had to move my search to ireland

SueS

SueS Report 19 Aug 2003 12:30

Julie if you want his birth certificate just to get his mothers name, why not try a different route and try for his parents marriage certificate? There is a marriage on FreeBMD for a Frederick INNISS in Dec qtr 1901 at Fulham with possible brides Ada or Catherine. Is this the right area for your family? Sue

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2003 12:46

thank Susan - it could well be the right area - but I still don't know how to verify that they are his parents - as I don't know anything about them except that the father was down as Frederick Inniss - I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could be ANY Frederick Inniss, and I can't think of a way to check that they are the parents. I have got names of some of James Frederick's siblings, and have found some possible matches in the Fulham area, but without finding James Frederick's birth, it would just be presuming they're the right ones wouldn't it? Many thanks for taking the time to look it up for me, I really appreciate it. I love the way so much support is given on these boards!

SueS

SueS Report 19 Aug 2003 12:54

Julie a quick look at the 1901 index for males gives a Frederick INNIS age 19 in Hammersmith ....on the same page are 2 called Charles and a Thomas. What family info do you have and was your father from this area? Sue

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2003 13:07

The area is right, Hammersmith or Kensington - James (Frederick) Inniss had the following siblings - Jack, Charlie, Bill, George and Kate. He married Rosina Annie Cook in 1924, they had four children, John Frederick (my dad), Lenny, Freddie and Peggy (which I found out today was short for Marjorie or Margaret). All I've managed to find is my dad's birth certificate, and his parents' wedding. Have checked FreeBMD for possible siblings then cross-referenced with 1837, but the mother's maiden name doesn't appear in the indexes around this time, so I can't verify yet.

SueS

SueS Report 19 Aug 2003 13:30

Julie were your grandparents married in church? If so, they may have christened children in the same church. I know the RC baptism registers I have looked at give details of both parents and godparents who are often aunts and uncles and help fit the puzzle. Did their marriage certificate give an occupation for Frederick and address? Sue

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2003 16:40

I'd never thought of church records! They were married in St Stephens Church in the parish of Hammersmith. The address of both bride and groom was 15 Southbrook Street, with Frederick Inniss being shown as a Carman? Ah, just spotted a potential problem - it was a C of E church. How would I go about checking baptisms, etc? Does it mean finding the church and going there - or do you know of any web sites? MANY thanks for all of your help on this - a fresh pair of eyes (and a brain that knows what it's doing - yours, not mine!) might just do it!

SueS

SueS Report 19 Aug 2003 19:23

Julie to find out where those parish records are, try calling Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Family history on 020 8741 5159 (found on the excellent GENUKI site) Also, that 19 year old Frederick INNIS from Hammersmith on the 1901 was a Carman as was Charles age 61. Louisa who is prob Charles's wife is 60 then there is Charles age 36, Thos age 32 another Charles age 23 (could be error) and Elizabeth age 15. It may be worth paying to look at the full record to see if the address is same a marriage certificate. Sue

Julie

Julie Report 19 Aug 2003 20:48

I'll give it a go. Thanks SO much for your help Sue. I've looked at the GENUKI site, can't quite get the hang of it yet (lots of information there!) but will have another look tomorrow. Early night for me!