Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 20:09

Can anyone with access to the 1911 census please look at Nellie Clarke born 1899 living Ipswich suffolk for me please. I would like to know who she is living with

hope someone can help THANK YOU

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 20:21

nnn

RussellF97

RussellF97 Report 17 Feb 2011 20:24

Hi,

There are three Nellie Clarke's in Ipswich with years of birth of 1899 1900 & 1901.
Don't you just hate it when that happens...

However, the 1899 Nellie is with (all surnames Clarke except the three Mills):
Alice / Head / 40 / widow / Field Work / Elmsett
Ethel M / Daughter / 21 / Single / Factory Hand / Elmsett
Nellie / Daughter / 12 / School / Howton
Blanche / Daughter / 10 / School / Howton
Charles / Grandson / 3 / Basham
Gladys / Granddaughter / 3months / Somersham
Robert Mills / Visitor / 26 / Married / Labourer / Ipswich
Lottie Mills / Visitor / 18 / Married / Hintlesham
Alice Mills / Visitor / 1 month / Ipswich

The address is 29 Mount St, Ipswich

Is that the right Nellie...?

Regards,

Phil Curtis

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 20:29

Hi Phil

this is confusing me now. My Nellie clarke had mother named Lucy born in Ipswich. The thing is that Lucy Clarke's maiden name was Mills. On the 1901 census Nellie was the last child on there.

do you think you could look at the 1900 Nellie Clarke in Ipswich for me please just to see who she is with. Many thanks

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 20:39

nnnn

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 20:48

nnnn

RussellF97

RussellF97 Report 17 Feb 2011 20:53

Hi Again,

That Nellie is with:

Helen Pooley / Head / 52 / Married / Shopkeeper / the place of birth is a bit difficult to make out but looks like Great Gippings, Ipswich
Nellie Clarke / 11 / School / Mount ???, Ipswich

Address: 6 Tanners Lane, Ipswich

and the third one is:

Nellie Clarke / 10 / School / Suffolk, Ipswich

Address: Workhouse School, St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Freehold (might be Treehold) Street & Bloomfield Road, Ipswich

Searching on Lucy Clarke brings up:

William & Lucy Clarke, & Arthur & Lucy Clarke. Neither couple have any missing children.

Is Nellie her actual name, or is a nickname/diminutive?

Regards,

Phil

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Feb 2011 20:56

Ann, do you have any other details on Nellie, names of siblings, etc which may narrow it down.

Have you found her in 1901?

RussellF97

RussellF97 Report 17 Feb 2011 21:00

Hi Ann,

It may well be the Nellie in the Workhouse School.

I had a look for Lucy in the 1901 census - where she was 42.

There is a death record for a Lucy Clarke 1907 Qtr4 Ipswich 4a 536 Age 49.

If Lucy had died, it would explain why Nellie was in the School.

Regards,

Phil

Ann

Ann Report 17 Feb 2011 21:21

Hi Phil

Thank you so much for your help. All I know about Nellie is that is says she was 1 on the 1901 census born Ipswich. It looks as if the death for Lucy in 1907 could be right so will have to look into this more. I found a Nellie Bertha Clark born dec 1899 Ipswich and assume this is my Nellie. I did wonder if it was a nickname. Could not find anyone else in Ipswich with a Nellie.

Lucy was married to a Arthur on the 1881 census living in Ipswich but I assume he died as I have not found him since. I think Lucy was living in colchester with my Samuel Barker and there was a william on that census born 1885 yarmouth but could not find a marriage between them. I sent for a birth certicate for Alice Norah the youngest child on the 1891 census and it said father Samuel Barker mother Lucy Mills but the other children on the census i think are really clarkes as I cannot find them on BMD records with surname Barker.

Samuel is in the workhouse in holborn in 1901 alone. So did he have an affair with this Lucy I still need to work out. The last child Nellie has surname Clarke so that is confusing. as Lucy is not with any man in 1901 was a widow

anyway thanks again for your help I will sit and trty and work it out. sorry I have not replied earlier but my brother phoned me.

regards
Ann