Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family of Robert and Jane Lang of County Cavan Ire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alana

Alana Report 2 Jun 2010 04:03

I'm looking for info on the Langs of County Cavan.My GGGrandparents Robert and Jane (Hales) I have most info on their sons Charles and John (my ancestor) who came to Australia but I'm not having much luck in finding info of Robert and his parents and siblings. Any help would be appreciated.THANKING YOU, Alana Otto

Susan

Susan Report 2 Jun 2010 04:56

Hi Alana

Can we have some dates please.
Sue

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Jun 2010 09:26

Alana...I assume it is the (Chas.) Lang listed on the IGI 1813. Co Caven (Parents Rbt.Lang and Jane Hales) you are looking at..?
Well there are 2 Birth and Death entries for Charles both submitted not extracted and given the dates vary I would treat with caution unless you have Primary Source evidence..
Finding info.on the parents of Rbt and Jane would require locating and searching through the appropriate Parish Records...
What Religion were they..?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Jun 2010 10:04

Alana...
Have found the following...

In 1796 there was listed a Charles Hales on the Flax Growers list for the Civil Parish of Kilashandra.
The Griffiths Valuation (1848-1864) shows 3 Charles Hales...
Drumgerd...Kilashandra
Tully...........Kilashandra
Lahard........Kilashandra.
There is also listed 2 Pres.Ministers Wm Hales and Dr.Edward Hales living at the Rectory Kilashandra Town 1820.

1796 Flax Growers List shows a John Lang..Civil Parish of Kildallan.
He does not show on the GV however there is listed a Robert /George/William for the Townland of Castlepoles Civil Parish Kilashandra.

Given that the names Charles John Robert feature in your research it is possible that these are connected however in the absence of dates etc.on your thread its dificult to be sure.

Alana

Alana Report 3 Jun 2010 01:58

thank you to all the people that replied to my request. The info on Robert and Jane is from a 1841 census, household 37, ARVA, Parish Killeshandra/Tulllyhunco. Had 5 children according to census.By this time their sons Charles and John would have left home. Have a copy of marriage cert for John and Phoebe 1853, just before they came to Australia. According to a book I have on Charles family they were Protestant. I believe the family originally came from Scotland to Ireland. Charles was born in 1813 and John in 1828.

Alana

Alana Report 3 Jun 2010 04:38

I just found some more info, Robert and Jane married 1812.You will all have to excuse my ignorance, but what is a Flax Growers List?? and where do I find it.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 3 Jun 2010 10:06

Alana...An explanation of the FGL...

I agree with what you say about coming over from Scotland...No doubt during the Plantation of Ulster...

The FLG only shows names and Civil Parishes...nothing else.
You should be able to access Co.Caven's via a search engine...
Incidentally..Avra Town is a townland in the Civil Parish of Killyshandra.(Alana its not my spelling thats wrong...over the years as with surnames the original spelling's have altered...so when searching way way back its worthwhile knowing some variations!!!)

Among the many miscellaneous records used to piece together information on people living in Ireland in the 18th century, few are more important than the Flax Growers List of 1796, known officially as the Spinning Wheel Premium Entitlement List, or more commonly the Flax Growers Premium

In 1796 the Irish Linen Board published a list of almost 60,000 individuals who had received awards for planting a specified acreage of flax. Those who had planted one acre were awarded four spinning wheels, and those planting five acres were awarded a loom. Arranged by civil parish in each county (except Dublin and Wicklow, which were not included), the Flax Growers List contains the names of those individuals recognized by the Irish Linen Board as having planted specific acreages of flax.

Alana

Alana Report 3 Jun 2010 14:23

Thank you Eringobragh1916, I found your information most interesting. I see I have a lot to learn about looking for family history. A cousin of mine started ours many years ago and I trying to fill in the missing pieces. Also correcting errors along the way. I don't have too much trouble with records here in Australia but once I start looking UK or Ireland it becomes a minefield. Thanks again, Alana