Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find ancestors of John Schrier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 15 Jul 2008 09:34

Can anyone help me to find the parents of John Schrier c1780 born Shadwell. He was a ropemaker. He married Grace Moore c1782. They lived in Chatham, Kent until around 1809 then moved back to Shadwell. They had about 10 children. My gr.gr.grandfather was Samuel Schrier c1810. Thanks, Susan

Susan

Susan Report 18 Apr 2011 18:07

Having unsuccessfully tried for ages to find the parents of John Schrier born c1781 in Shadwell, I found on someone else's tree the name of John Caspar Schrier and Susanne as being possible parents. Has anyone else come across these people and does anyone know if they are in fact John Schrier c1781 parents. Thanks, Susan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2011 18:48

looks like a baptisms for two of their children
Name: John Shrier
[John Schrier]
Birth Date: 30 Oct 1810
Christening Place: St. Dunstan, Stepney, London, Eng
Father's name: John Shrier
Mother's name: Grace
Maternal Grandfather's Name: Jeames More

Name: Jonathan Shrier
[Jonathan Schrier]
Birth Date: 28 Oct 1812
Christening Place: St. Dunstan, Stepney, London, Eng
Father's name: John Shrier
Mother's name: Grace Moore
Maternal Grandfather's Name: James Moore

strange they quote the maternal grandfathers name

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2011 18:54

Name: John Schrier
Spouse Name: Grace Moore
Record Type: marriage
Marriage Bann Date: 16 Nov 1800
Parish: St Leonard Shoreditch
COUNTY: Surrey
Borough: Hackney
witnesses Grace Moore and George Limming

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2011 20:47

A Shadwell John ???
Name: John Schrier
Baptism Date: 4 Oct 1801
Parish: St Paul, Shadwell
COUNTY: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Parent(s): John Schrier, occ ROPEMAKER
Mary Schrier
Record Type: Baptism

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2011 20:55

pre 1800 you would need to search Parish records for the area. Possibly held at the LMA .

Susan

Susan Report 19 Apr 2011 07:22

Hi, thanks for your replies. What I am trying to find is the parents of John Schrier b Feb 1781 in Shadwell. I have trawled through loads of baptism records and the only one I have found that is anything like the name Schrier is for a John Shrier or Shreyer born to John Casper and Susanne in Farmer Street, London. However I haven't found anything else to prove this is the right baptism. Another confusion is that there is a John Schrier c1801 born to a John Schrier and Mary in Farmer Street. I haven't found anything more on a John Schrier marrying a Mary. There is definite proof of a John Schrier marrying Grace Moore in 1800 and her baptism in Chatham in 1782, with parents James and Elizabeth Moore. I have several baptism records in Chatham of children born to John and Grace, and then more on other children of John and Grace but born in Shadwell. John and Grace seem to have lived in Shadwell for several years, their youngest daughter Elizabeth born c1823 born there, before John and Grace, Joseph and Elizabeth are found in 1841 back in Chatham. So any more help much appreciated. Susan