Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PC Ernest Jeffs (d 1925) father of Hilda-Mary Jeff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave

Dave Report 8 Aug 2008 14:33

I have decendants of the surname Jeffs who are from The Wirral, Birkenhead, Chester area. The name of my Late Grandma was Hilda-Mary Jeffs. She had two Sisters Jenny and Claris - I'm not aware of any other brothers or sisters. Her father was a PC Ernest Jeffs d. 1925.

The name of Ernest W Jeffs appears on the 1901 census in the Northwich, Chester where my grandmother was born. Here Ernest's occupation is an Assistant (local) Inspector of Wieght and Measures which doesn't match his known profession as Policeman. Unless this duty was given to the police. Niether Jenny or Clarisa, Hilda's sisters, appear on this census, but like my grandmother they may have been born after 1901.

Hilda-Mary Jeffs married Henry Anson at Broadheath, St Alban 1930.

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 8 Aug 2008 14:47

Hilda Mary Jeffs b1905 Mar Q Northwich

Dave

Dave Report 8 Aug 2008 14:48

I've just found an ariticle that shows a police officer being appointed inspector of weights and measures (http://www.mkheritage.co.uk/bch/docs/chepping.html). This show the accuracy of the census, but I would still like to know more about the family line.

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 8 Aug 2008 14:55

Have checked the complete BMD index for 1925 and 1st quarter if 1926 and cant see an Ernest Jeffs -where did your info come from?

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 8 Aug 2008 15:03

If you are content that Ernest W Jeffs is the right one he marriedEliza Shallcross 1897 Northwich Cheshire

Ethel

Ethel Report 8 Aug 2008 15:10

Hi Dave. Hope the following info will help to clarify your search.

Birth Clarice Partington Jeffs. 1908. July/Sept. Qtr. reg in Northwich. vol 8a 272
Hilda Mary E 1905. Jan/March Qtr. reg in Northwich. vol 8a 249

Copy of one of the birth certificates will give both parents names in full, and you can check if the marriage given above is the right one.

If so, the entry on the 1901 will also connect.

Ernest W 30 1871 Born Rock Ferry. Ches. Living Northwich. W and M Insp
Eliza. 23. 1878 Born Northwich
William. 3. 1898 Born Northwich
Dora 1 1900 Born Northwich.

Possible birth for Ernest. 1881 Jan/March Qtr. registered in Birkenhead which covers Rock Ferry. vol 8a 558.
Copy of this cert will give his parents and a chance to trace further. You need this as there are a few Ernest's in Northwich.
Hope this helps. Ethel.

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 8 Aug 2008 15:19

Ernest Wittaker Jeffs b 1869 Mar Q Wirral son of Joseph Jeffs and Sarah Jones _married 1866 Sep Q Wirral
In 1881 Toot Hill Helsby cheshire
Joseph Jeffs 39 wid Grocer and Farmer of 7 acres employing 3 men and a boy b Frodsham
Edwin T 13 b Rock Ferry
Joseph 12 do
Ernest W 11 do
Satah E J 8 do
Henry 7 b Runcorn
Deborah 4 do
Rachel 3 do
Harriet A do
plus housekeeper and 1 servant

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 8 Aug 2008 15:41

In 1891 Ernest is listed as E W Jeffs 21 Weights and Measures Asst b Rock Ferry Cheshire boarding in Hartford together with a Roger Hind Weights and measures Inspector.