Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cain/Kane

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marieanne

Marieanne Report 25 Jan 2009 13:58

Peter Cain - (Boxer Jarrow circa 1910's to1930's) must have been born around circa 1900's. He had siblings Bernard, Samuel, James, John, Mary and one sister unknown first name.
Father Patrick, Mother Mary both born ireland.

Trying to find a link to my Grandma Mary Kane (Cain) her brother was Peter Cain a boxer from Jarrow, he would of been boxing in the 1910's to 1930's
My Grandma married John Thomas Weir and had two sons, she also had a son Eddie to a previous marriage. I believe her sister married McGarvey and they emigrated to South Africa, had a son Micheal
If anyone has a link please contact.
Marieanne

Mary

Mary Report 1 Jun 2009 21:28

My husband is Bernard Cain born in Jarrow in 1953. His father, grandfather and we believe great grandfather were also known as Bernard. He recalls some mention of a boxer in the family but not sure. We have found Patrick and Mary Cain as listed by you also. Did the Bernard Cain menioned by you marry Elizabeth and lived for some time in Primrose a suburb of Jarrow.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Jun 2009 21:36

found this as part of an article on Google

The East Ferry Inn near the Jarrow slacks was said to be the sort of place you went with another man's wife-no one admitted to frequenting this one! Then came my favourite shots of the Jarrow fire brigade (horse drawn!) and the Jarrow ladies fire brigade 1914-1918. Also Peter Cain the local boxer whose ring name was Batty's nipper.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Jun 2009 21:37

South Tyneside Meeting - October 2004
Then came my favourite shots of the Jarrow fire brigade (horse drawn!) and the Jarrow ladies fire brigade 1914-1918. Also Peter Cain the local boxer whose ...

www.ndfhs.org.uk/Reports/st_2004_10.html - 16k - Similar pages

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/Reports/st_2004_10.html
Pre War British Boxing - Surname List - C
Peter Cain(Jarrow) total bouts 138 active 1910s to 1930s. Sid Cain(Watford) total bouts 38 ...... Boxer Conway(Ashton) total bouts 7 active 1920s to 1930s ...

www.prewarboxing.co.uk/boxer%20lists/C%20list.ht... - 190k - Similar pages

http://www.prewarboxing.co.uk/boxer%20lists/C%20list.htm

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Jun 2009 21:38

I have sent a message to Marieanne

Marieanne

Marieanne Report 1 Jun 2009 22:16

Thank you for the responses.

Mary I am not sure about who Bernard married but can confirm that Bernard was Peters and Marys brother, also I think another brother francis who went on to be a London musical producer known as Frankie Franks.
If you wish to view my tree please send me a message and I would appreciate access to yours.

Best wishes

Marieanne