Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sgt Samuel Harris - Martha Quinton - New Zealand

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 8 Jun 2009 04:58

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so excuse me if I post something incorrectly :)

I'm searching for my 2nd Great Grandfather, Samuel Harris and my 2nd Great Grandmother, Martha Quinton.

As far as I can tell, Samuel was born in England (specific eh?) and joined the 70th Surrey Reg of Foot (Glasgow Greys). He fought in India before transferring to New Zealand to fight in the NZ Wars of the 1860's. I know he ended up in Kyeburn, Dunedin and started a family with Martha Quinton, but I have no idea where either of them actually came from. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Anna.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Jun 2009 06:31

Do you have their marriage cert?NZ certs give where they are born and the name of the father ,mother and mothers maiden name.

Birth certs give the name of the parents and where the parents were born.

Death certs give name of deceased and where born and when they arrived in they country also parents names

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 9 Jun 2009 05:05

Auckland City Library reference section have a reference section which holds a book listing soldiers who stayed in NZ after the Maori Wars. They also offer an "ask a librarian" service. Since you know his regiment you could email them and ask if they could look up his details, which should be comparatively simple..

It only works if he took his discharge in NZ, unlike my wife's gggrandfather who deserted!!!

Also found this:
New Zealand Gazette 1865 page 312 Notice to Pensioners
Land Orders, under “The Pensioners’ Claims Act, 1861,” in favor of the claimants
undermentioned, are ready for issue, and will be delivered to the parties entitled on personal
application, or to the bearer of a special authority in writing at the office of the Commissioner
of Crown Lands, Auckland. Alfred Domett, Secretary for Crown Lands, General Crown Land
Office, Wellington, 14th October, 1865.
No. Claimant Residence
174A Mary Jane Wood Onehunga
175 John Woods Howick
176 Frederick Taylor, James Taylor, Mary Jane Macky Howick
Margaret Taylor
177 James Donnelly Otahuhu
178 Margaret Egan Onehunga
179 Robert Kyle Otahuhu
180 John Martin Otahuhu
181 Rebecca McCutcheon Otahuhu
182 John McConaghy Otahuhu
183 Francis Organ Howick
184 Sarah Ann Organ, Richard Organ, Eliza Organ Howick
Thomas Organ, Frances Organ
185 Hugh McMullan Otahuhu
186 Colin McIntyre Otahuhu
187 William McGonagle Otahuhu
188 Anne Quinton Otahuhu
189 Martha Quinton, James Quinton, Ann Quinton Otahuhu
Maria Quinton

AND>>>>>HARRIS. Albert. m. b. 12 Jun. 1869 at Wisemans Gully, Shortland. Father Samuel
HARRIS, Engineer. Mother Martha nee QUINTON.
(Shortland is now Thames (in the North Island)

A John Quinton arrived in NZ on the "Ann" in 1848 - as part of a military detachment - most seem to have come from Ireland - and a lot of them settled the Otahuhu Area. The family members are not listed.

Peter

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 9 Jun 2009 22:57

Looks like they married in 1862 (Samuel Harris ref 1862/743) which should give you their fathers.

Martha's death cert ref 1926/5189 should give you a lot more......

PM me if you need more help

Peter

Anna

Anna Report 11 Jun 2009 06:13

Hi Quinsgran,

I've ordered some certificates which will hopefully arrive next week! THanks for the reply :)

Anna

Anna Report 11 Jun 2009 09:27

Hi Pat,

Great info, thank you :)

Anna

Anna Report 17 Jun 2009 11:24

Death cert for Samuel arrived today - Lists his parents as Harris and Harris :( Birthplace was Leichester.

A little bit sad, I'd hoped for his fathers name at least.

Still waiting for Samuel and Martha's marriage certificate.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Jun 2009 11:46

Leichester - probably Leicester or Leicestershire. When was Samuel born?

Anna

Anna Report 18 Jun 2009 08:46

Potty,

Whoops, it was quite late last night and I mis-spelled the place name.

Samuel was born 1839 (possibly 25 Dec)