Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Major Buckridge and descendants - Bishopsgate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debs

Debs Report 11 Jul 2009 12:51

Hi

After some cost I have managed to trace my Buckridge/Buckeridge family back to Major Edwin Buckridge. I started with a marriage certificate of James Higgins my 2 x Great Grandfather to Elizabeth Buckeridge in Bethnal Green 1860, Elizabeth’s father was William Buckeridge, Chimney Sweep. I managed to trace them through the census 1841, and 1861 (can not find in 1851) and William Buckeridge (born around 1809 Bishopsgate) was a Chimney Sweep married to Elizabeth, with first son born 1831 called George. I found their christening on the IGI and then sent off for a birth certificate of one of Elizabeth’s siblings that was born after 1837 and mother was Elizabeth Gobby. Found the marriage on IGI and found a birth of a William Buckeridge 1809 Christchurch, Spitalfields but father just said Buckeridge and mother Ann, three other children were christened within a 6 year period, one called Major with the father Major, mother Hannah. So I sent off for a copy of the Christening for William Buckeridge, and it pays to do this as when I got it back it said:
William Buckeridge – father Major Buckeridge, mother Ann (short for Hannah) living at Quaker Street which is on the Borders of Bishopsgate/Shoreditch and Spitalfields.
So I am can safely say my 4th Great Grandfather was Major Buckeridge born in 1769 to Major Edwin Buckeridge and Martha. What I can not work out is how do other Genners match Major Edwin Buckeridge to Christopher Buckeridge, i.e. brothers as I can not find a christening or will or anything other than the lived near each other to prove the link. I have noticed that trees I have found have said Major Edwin Buckeridge born Hornsey 1736 – where has that come from?
Is there anyone else out there related to Major Buckeridge? I have found a few records of when he was a teenager accused of stealing around the Bishopsgate area but he managed to get away with it. I also found his burial record for 1821 living at Pheasant Cock Court.

It would be great to hear from others and how the two Buckeridge families fit together.

Regards Debs

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 1 Aug 2009 00:01

Dear Debs

Hello

Have you checked the GR search trees for the name to see if other GR members are researching the family?

Have you also tried the society for one name families?

Hope this helps

Best wishes