Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newbie needs help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 18 Aug 2009 22:13

Can anyone help please? I am new to the genealogy game and thought I was doing quite well, having found records for 9 out of 10 of my great grandfathers children but I am really stuck with one. Her name was Jane Miller Proudfoot (an unusual middle name) . My mother had a letter from a cousin which had stated her date of birth as 23.05.1900 and died 1950 in Carlisle. I have found a birth registered July to Sept. 1900, but I can find no record for her marrriage or death. Her husbands name was Joe Douglas and they had 4 children John Derek Jean and Harold. My mother says that her husband would have nothing to do with the church and they probably married in the register office. Would this affect the records at all. I even wondered if they were not even legally married but I can't find a death under her maiden name either. All help will be appreciated thank you

Sam

Sam Report 18 Aug 2009 22:15

Her marriage would still appear on the GRO indexes even if she did get married in a regsiter office. Can you find the birth registratuions for any of their children?

Sam x

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 18 Aug 2009 22:21

Births Jun 1931
Douglas Derek J Proudfoot Carlisle 10b 857
Births Mar 1939
Douglas Harold Proudfoot Carlisle 10b 753

Therefore marriage around 1930 +/-5 years or more. As she would've been about 30 it's possible she was married before.

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 18 Aug 2009 22:25

Hi Lynda
I think the birth you found would be the right one --if the birth wasn't registered until late June early July it would would be on the September (Quarter) and I think they give you 6 weeks to register a birth.

Births Sep 1900
Proudfoot Jane Miller
Carlisle 10b 577

All the best
Barbara

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2009 22:34

Married in Scotland

1925 DOUGLAS JOSEPH PROUDFOOT JANE MILLER GRETNA /DUMFRIES 827/00 0010 VIEW (5 CREDITS)

Lynda

Lynda Report 19 Aug 2009 16:05

Thanks glitterbaby. it looks like you have solved it. This teaches me not to rely too heavily on peoples memory.