Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family of Mary Ann Cawley, born Belmullet Co. Mayo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Dec 2009 10:25

Cawley sometimess spelled Cauley.
Mary Ann was my husband's grandmother, I have found that she was born early 1888
baptised 23/2/1888 birth registered in May as 2/3/1888 - from 1911 census parents could not read or write which perhaps explains the difference in dates. She left Ireland at about age 18 to escape a proposed marriage to an older man - she ended up n Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Father Patrick Cawley mother Mary Walsh, from their marriage in 1881 his father was Anthony Cawley and her's Michael Walsh. Patrick gives his address as Tallagh, which I know is very near Belmullet, Mary as Inniskea - one of the now uninhabited islands off the west coast of Ireland.

I have not been able to find records any further back than this or anything for the Walshes.

helpful info?
Mary Ann's sponsors at baptism Martin Murphy & Kate Cawley
witnesses at marriage on 17/8/1881 of Pat & Mary were Anthony Cawley and Kate Gaughan
? Kate and Anthony Cawley would be Pat's siblings?
1901 census Pat, Mary, Michael (15) Patrick (14) Mary Ann (12) Kate (10) I have also discovered there were 2 other children who died in childhood.

Any help or ideas on how to find more information would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any matches on Genes.