Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find THANK YOU s to all who responded

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Renes

Renes Report 26 May 2010 09:56

Am over whelmed with the responses and information given

It is fairly evident that I and my 9 brothers and sister are not Gillette·s but Gillett ·s

THANK YOU

Julia

Julia Report 26 May 2010 10:04

Morning Irene. Have been following your thread with interest. I am afraid you will find many derivations of this name. Just click on mine for another. I always have to spell mine, when asked for my surname.
Good Luck
Julia in Derbyshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 May 2010 10:07

This interesting name is from a diminutive form of the personal name Giles, Julian or William. There has been considerable confusion between the variants of both personal and sur-names generated from these original names over the centuries, and it is no longer possible to assign separate derivations for the modern surname, which can be found as "Gill(i)att", "Gillyatt", "Gillot(t)", "Gillyett", "Gilyot(t)", "Jillett" and "Jellett", among others. The name Giles is derived from the Greek "aigidion", meaning kid, and was introduced into England by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066 as "Gille", with the diminutive forms "Gillet" and "Gillot", as in Gilot de Lackenby (1250, Yorkshire). Julian, and the female form Gillian, are derived from the Latin "Julins", from "Iuppiter", the supreme god, whose name is akin to words meaning "sky, light, day"; these have the diminutives "Giliot" and "Gilliatt". William derives from the French (Norman) "Guillaume", from the Germanic "wil", meaning desire, conviction and "helm", helmet, protection, giving the diminutive "Guillot" as in Guylote Belebonche (1319, London). Jenne, daughter of Oliver and Marie Gillet was christened at the French Huguenot Church at Threadneedle Street, in London on November 30th 1606. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Peter Gyllot (witness), which was dated 1260, in the "Assize Rolls of Yorkshire", during the reign of King Henry 111, known as "The Frenchman", 1216 - 1272. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Renes

Renes Report 26 May 2010 10:21

My mother used to tell us - that "in the olden days" when the Poll Tax was paid Gillett·s became Gillette·s - so it would seem she perhaps she had read somewhere the article on Surnames

however I believe my father possibly had a reason for misspelling his name on their marriage certificate though how he obtained a passport I cannot think - my parents and two sisters went to Denmark to visit my mothers sister just after the war

Will put your words in my family history album I am making for us all - it might convince them

Kindest regards

Irene

Renes

Renes Report 26 May 2010 10:23

Julia

Clicked on your name but it just came up as Julia -

Thank you

Irene

Julia

Julia Report 26 May 2010 10:25

Irene, I clicked on my name on here, and it does give me, my surname.
Will PM you
Julia in Derbyshire

Renes

Renes Report 26 May 2010 10:58

Julia

Yes I have received and replied

Thank you

Irene