Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Adamson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 2 Mar 2005 22:06

AGNES, ROBERT, JOHN, JAMES, WILLIAM ADAMSON Hi - I'm trying to track down relations of my grandmother Agnes Adamson (Dumfries, 1894). She was the youngest of 11 children - John, Robert, Janet, James, William, Marion (died in childhood), Annie, Jean, Archibald (Archie died in WWI), Thomas (Tom died in WWI) then Agnes. Their parents were Marion Forrest (1854-1908) and Robert Adamson (C1843-1917). They lived in Cardross, Dumfries, Dunbartonshire in a house called Garfield. Archibald married before he was killed in WWI and his wife's name began with B. Agnes married William Alfred Shepherd (Penrith, Cumberland 1889 - 1953). They had four sons - two of whom (Tom & Ian) died in childhood with Ronald and Ivor (1933 my father) surviving. Ronald (C 1926. Died in C1992). Robert Adamson (my Grandmother's brother) emigrated to Argentina in the early 1900s. He married twice - once to a Scottish lady and once to an Argentine lady. He had 3 children - Ian, Thomas, Blanche by his first wife and at least two - Robert and Guiamette (Argentine version of Willemina) by his second. Blanche lived in Cardross having married a civil pilot in Argentina; they had two children. She and her family also lived in Coulsden nr Wallington, Surrey for a time. Ian was a fighter pilot in WWII in Asia - shot down twice. He was a civil pilot in Argentina and then moved to New York, USA. Tom was killed in WWII - he parachuted into a lake in a training exercise in Canada - his landing point was marked by fishermen who went to pick him up but he had completely disappeared - his body was never found despite the boats getting to him within minutes. My Great-uncle Willy, my Grandmother's brother, married Elizabeth Hall - apparently they had many children. My father (Ivor Shepherd, 1930) had 21 cousins - he thinks the fathers were his uncles John, william and Robert. Among the 21 (including those above) there was a Robert, a William and an Annie. Also cousin Archie (William's son) who was in the Cameroonians in WWII. Apparently my Great-uncle John died and fell in canal in his 80s - no foul play - assumed heartattack! If any of this connects with you and your tree, I can be reached through Genesreunited. Thanks Nicola