Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Bailes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 10 Apr 2004 20:28

I am looking for any relations of Edith N Bailes, born about 1880 in Leeds, her parents where Samuel & Martha Bailes. Edith emigrated to Montreal, Canada in the early 1900's. I know she married a man whose surname was Newsome, and had children in Canada, i believe she had at least 2 sons, one was called Arthur Newsome, he was in England in WW2 in 1941 with the Canadian Armed Forces and was at my grandparents and great auntys joint wedding on September 20th 1941,(I have a photo of this occaision), Thomas went to live on Vancouver Island I believe. I know that Edith returned for a visit to England at least once to see her family in 1938 after the death of her brother (My great grandfather), there are photos of her visit and my grandmother remembers waving her off at Liverpool. It would be nice to share these photos & memories with her family.

Aletta

Aletta Report 7 Aug 2009 12:34

Hello Stephen,

First of all, I am not a direct descendant of Samuel and Martha.

Samuel was the son of George 1834 who had a brother Samuel 1836. Samuel was my great grandfather. One of his grandchildren was Richard (my Uncle Dick) 1916 who was in the Royal Canadian Air Force before he was killed in an air-training accident in 1944. I am told that at one point he 'met up with some distant relatives in Canada'. Perhaps they were the children of Edith?

I have a photo of Samuel and Martha which, unfortunately, is not very good, together with a couple of snaps of Model Farm in Meanwood.

On my tree, I also have quite a lot of Bailes information going back to Teesdale.

If you are interested I will open it for you. I also have an Ancestory tree on the go!

Aletta Harrison (nee Bailes)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Aug 2009 12:35

Aletta - this is a very old posting - you could try making contact with Stephen via GR by clicking on his name to send a message - he may still be a member