Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find McVittie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 3 Jul 2003 08:07

In about the 1880s, I understand that my Welsh Great Grandfather Owen Jones who was working in the Glasgow area at that time, met and married a girl called Mary McVittie, who came from Glasgow or thereabouts. They moved to North Wales where my Grandfather Hugh Jones was born. Mary claimed to be a cousin of the poet Robbie Burns. She also reckoned there was some Russian connection. I would imagine that Mary McVittie would have been born about 1870. I think I've got the name and spelling correct, but I might have it slightly wrong. Anyone got any clues?

Colin

Colin Report 18 Oct 2007 10:08

Hi Colin,
I'm researching the McVitties and have got back to 1872 when my Great Great Grand Mother appears to have been born. I'm planning on going to Carlisle record office in the future. They were based at Cummersdale just outside Carlisle. she was Mary Ann Young and married John, and McVittie is spelled mcVitty on ancestory website. If i find anything I'll let you know

Sheena

Sheena Report 4 Jan 2008 23:18

Hi Colin
The McVittie family is huge. I have gotten back to one James McVittie b1670 in Murtholm near Langholm. His descendants are numerous.
My gt gt Grandfather Robert McVittie b1791 in Langholm had ten sons and eight daughters. One of his sons was John b1813. Langholm isn't very far north of Carlisle. I wonder if you might be descended from this family.
Sheena

Robert

Robert Report 19 Mar 2008 21:46

Hi Colin,
I also have a Elizabeth McVittie from Carlisle in my tree. She married James Fairlee. He was a gardener to Joseph Carr (of Carr's Biscuits).
I don't think your Mary McVittie could have been a cousin of Robert Burns as he died in 1796!
Bob

Julia

Julia Report 15 Jan 2014 01:59

This is a long shot I know but here goes! I am trying to trace my 3xG Grandmother one Ann Jane MAVITY( various spellings including McVittie). Ann Jane arrived in South Australia on 12 September 1855 aboard the ship "Switzerland" which had sailed from Liverpool, England. Shipping records state that she was sixteen years old and born Fermanagh Ireland .
Ann Jane Mavity m William Hamlyn on 23 Jan 1856 at Clarendon, South Australia and died 1870 of Typhoid at Hindmarsh Valley , South Australia.
Neither shipping records, marriage records or death records give the name of Ann Jane Mavity's parents.
Her surname was recorded as Mavity on shipping record and also her marriage record but she had nine children and the spelling of her maiden name varies , Mavity, McVittie, McVity, McVitty. & McVitie.
Any clues as to where I can go from here would be appreciated.
Julia....Australia

jax

jax Report 15 Jan 2014 02:36

Hi Julia

It would be better if you started a thread of your own rather than to add to this old one