Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Pickles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 15 Aug 2007 21:23

I am trying to find earlier generations of the Pickles family to the ones I know about. Miles and Alice Pickles born 1831 and 1830 respectively lived at Intake Farm, Stanbury/Haworth. Prior to that they lived at the Cross Inn (Now Wuthering Heights pub) in Stanbury. They had lots of children, Sarah Elizabeth (my greatgrandma born 1854), Holmes Pickles 1856, Mary Pickles, 1858, John Pickles, Tommy, Jesse, Maria, Susannah (who died in infancy), Miles and Alice. The Generation prior to that was Holmes Pickles, wife Mary (formerly Lunn from Wilsden), born 1796 approximately. I know Holmes's father was a Joseph Pickles and I think the generation prior to that was Miles Pickles. The name can also be spelt 'Pighills/Pighells'. Sarah Elizabeth was married to Ogden Pickles (of New Tame, Saddlleworth) who died aged 32, she then went on to marry my greatgrandfather, Joseph Ingham, born 1845 at White Hole Farm Cottage, Crimsworth Dean, Heptonstall. She had various children to her first husband, Elizabeth (born Saddleworth), a set of twin boys, and her children to my greatgrandfather were Mary Ann Ingham (my grandma) born 1886/7, Alice Maud Annie Ingham, born 1897 and Miles (born I believe 1894) who died aged 2. I would dearly love to know more about the early generations of Pickles's/Pighills/Pighells, so please do get in touch if you can shed any light on this. Thank you.

Gail

Gail Report 18 Jun 2009 22:17

Hi Anne,
I don't know if my information is of any help, I am an Ingham, and have researched my family history, William Ingham married Sarah Murgatroyd circa 1860 ~Sarah came from Howarth, and I have visited the Bronte church looking at the grave stones, there are graves for the Murgatroyds and interestingly there are Pickels buried with murgatroyds. I too am still trying to fing the connection. Perhaps If you take this track you may come up with something, I too will puzzle this one, and if I find anything I will let you know.
Regards Gail

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Jun 2009 22:23

Gail,

This message is almost two years old.

If you want to contact Anne then just click on her name and send a message but she might not be a member now

Maureen

Anne

Anne Report 17 Jun 2010 01:00

I'm just revisiting this and I am still a member. I have found the previous generations Holmes Pickles and Mary Lunn. Also, to do with the Inghams - Joseph Ingham's mum was Betty Ingham and her mum was Sally Ingham - there also appears to be a connection with the Greenwood family from Peckitt Well. Joseph Ingham was born in 1840 approximately - I've just got the family bible out - Joseph's children to his first wife were Rebecca Forton born June 8th 1862 (Joseph's child before they were married), Sarah Ingham, 13.2.1866, Willie Ingham, 9.4.1867, Fred Ingham, 17.8.1870, James ingham 3 7.1874, Mary Ann Ingham (my grandmother - mother Sarah Elizabeth Pickles - Joseph's second wife), Alice Maude Annie Ingham 23.4.1897 and Miles Ingham 8.3.1894 (died in childhood). If you are still a memberand want to get back in touch it would be great to hear from you. Anne Arana

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 Jun 2010 01:04

Same advice applies Anne.
To contact Gail you could click on her name and send a direct message.