Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Walesby, Bligh and Watson.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 1 Nov 2007 21:23

Is George Walesby c 1808-1872 the father of William c1829?, William was a master saddler, married to Rachel A. They all originated from Bungay, Suffolk.
My mums family have always believed that Capt William Bligh was one of our ancestors, the name Bligh being changed to Blight over the years. I have researched William Bligh as much as I can without going to the parish registers, and can't find a link. Did his father Francis have a brother? Are we connected that way?
The furthest back I can trace on the Blight side is Thomas Blight c1806, born in Cornwall. He was married to Mary Ann. Does any one have any more info about him?
Also my mum insists that a Dr Robson Watson, who owned the 1st 2 iron ships was an ancestor. Again I'm struggling to find such a person. The nearest I've got is Thomas Watson c1806, born in Northumberland. He lived with his daughter Catherine Wood in Swansea according to the 1881 Wales Census. He was listed then as Pauper Late Tallyman at Copper Ore Wharf. Doesn't sound like a ship owning man to me! Unless someone knows something else about him.
If anyone has any info about any of these names, I would appreciate a reply.
Many thanks,
Wendy.

Reginald Harry

Reginald Harry Report 2 Nov 2007 10:28

HI WENDY
My late wife was Sheila Constance Bligh (B)1936_2006 in Southampton so my tree as a comprehensive list of Bligh,s going back to 1450
according to my research and info from other members of genes reunited who also have Bligh,s in their tree Francis Bligh was(B) St Tudy Cornwall 1722_ 1780 mar to Jane Balsam Francis was a Customs Officer he died Plymouth1780 his Son was William Bligh (B)1754- 1817 St Tudy cornwall Bligh of the Bounty & Govener of N,S,W Australia Francis had 7 brothers & 1 sister they were
John Bligh 1715
Richard Bligh1717-1773 = Mary Brent 1720-1774
Reginald Bligh 1717
James Bligh 1719
William Bligh 1724
William Bligh 1725 = Jane Peak 1725
Joseph Bligh 1728
Mary Bligh 1731 = Henry Cottell
Francis Bligh ,s Father was Richard Bligh 1687-1773 = to Jane Cocks ;1688 if you need anymore info dont be afraud to contact me Regards Reginald Harris

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Nov 2007 12:00

Hi Wendy,
I was about to message you but I see that Reginald Harry has already given you the info on the Blighs. Good Luck with your search.
William Bligh is in my line. William Blighs Daughter Mary married Maurice Charles O'Connell. Their son William Bligh John O'Connell is my Gt Gt Grandfather on my mothers side.
Good Luck. Regards Patricia.