Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chuter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Nov 2007 22:15

Hello,

I am trying to find any information about Charles (charlie) Chuter, born in east london/se london, dob 1900? who had three sons and two daughters. Eldest son is called Charles who is my grandfather, other children named George, Sidney and Stella (can't remember other name).

Scott

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 4 Nov 2007 22:57

There were two Charles Chuters born in 1920 who could be your Charles's son Charles

Chuter Charles A Amies W. Ham 4a 275
Chuter Charles G Owden Lewisham 1d 2198

-- do you know his DOB? No other Charles Chuters up to March 1922, as far as the FreeBMD transcriptions go at this point. And no one who looks like his siblings transcribed yet, either.

This is the marriage of the parents of the first one:

Name: Frederick H Chuter + Maud E Amies
Year of Registration: 1918
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: West Ham
County: Essex, Greater London
Volume: 4a
Page: 40

-- so that's not your couple.

I can't find a Chuter-Owden marriage so far. Do you know what Charles Sr.'s wife's surname was?

There aren't any Charles Chuter marriages between 1915 and 1927 in the right area -- at least as so far transcribed. Transcription for those dates is very spotty so far.

What I'm getting at is that the marriage certificate would give you Charles Sr.'s father's name.

There is this household in Romford in 1901 -- an Ancestry subscriber has corrected the surname, fortunately, or I'd never have found it:

Name: Charles Charles
[Charles Chuter]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Phyllis
Where born: Farnham, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Romford
Ecclesiastical parish: St Edward
Town: Romford
County/Island: Essex

Registration district: Romford
Sub-registration district: Romford
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 103

Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Charles 29
Frances E Charles 11 months
Phyllis Charles 28

(All household members' names are corrected to Chuter -- but the only info given with the correction is "transcription error", so we don't know the connection between the person who made the correction and that household. If you're not subscribed to Ancestry and would like to contact that person, you could PM me an email address and I could pass it along.)

These are the two Chuter births in Romford during the time period:

Name: Frances Evelyn Chuter
Year of Registration: 1900
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Romford
County: Essex
Page: 516

Name: Charles Harrison Chuter
Year of Registration: 1902
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Romford
County: Essex
Page: 561

-- so it looks like that 1901 household did have a son Charles after the census. He looks like a good candidate to be yours.

There are a load of Chuters born in West Ham around then, but no Charles.

(I have a gr-grmother born in Romford who lived in West Ham after marriage, so I recognize that household and those births as "East London", although Romford and West Ham are technically in Essex.)

There is one Charles H Chuter marriage transcribed (wife's entry isn't transcribed yet):

Name: Charles H Chuter
Year of Registration: 1924
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Spouse's Surname: Wilson
District: East Preston
County: Sussex
Volume: 2b
Page: 581

Natalie

Natalie Report 25 Nov 2007 21:15

Kathryn,

My grandfather was born on 31/03/1922 at Silvertown/Canning Town and his grandmother was Isbella Rose Dorest. My grandfather's father is also Charles Chuter, he was born in Southwark 27/08/1895.

I have just started my family tree so I don't have a lot of information yet. I am hoping my grandfather's sister will help fill in the gaps.

Cheers for your help.

Scott

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Nov 2007 22:29

Always a good idea to get all the info you can / provide all the info you have before asking questions and getting people to spend time on them, Scott!

Just for future potential helpers -- you say that your grandfather's "grandmother was Isbella Rose Dorest"

Is that "Isabella", not "Isbella"?

And was she actually your grandfather's grandmother, or his mother?

And is "Dorest" the correct spelling? It doesn't actually seem to be a real name.

Perhaps this is your grandfather's mother:

Name: Isabella Rose Dorsett
Year of Registration: 1897
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: West Ham
County: Essex, Greater London
Page: 103

If you want people to help out, you gotta pay a little more attention to the details!