Trying to find a long lost relative?
People lose touch for so many reasons - an argument that got out of hand, moving abroad, divorce. All these things can rip a family apart and then when you want to put it back together you don’t know where to start. No matter why you lost touch in the first place, Genes Reunited can help you find whoever you are looking for. Reconnecting with long lost relations can be an emotional experience, so we recommend you talk it through with a friend or partner who can support you along the way. Good luck!
What to do now:
- Step 1:Download our eBook - It's a free guide that’s packed with detailed advice on finding lost relatives as well as links to some professional services that may be able to help you.
- Step 2:People Finder - Use our quick, intelligent search to look for any family members you have lost touch with. Simply enter the name of the person you are looking for, and we will search all of our more recent records including Electoral Rolls and Birth and Marriage records. View the search results for free and register to get one free record view.
- Step 3:Search records - You don’t need exact details to search; even a partial name or place is a great start and will help you start narrowing down your results. Try and find the latest whereabouts of the person you’re looking for - start with the essential birth, marriage and death records, and then move on to travel records to see if they moved abroad.
- Step 4:Community Boards - Ask a question on our boards dedicated to helping you find living relatives. You can also get help and advice from our friendly members who share their stories and can help you prepare for the journey ahead.
- Step 5: Start your family tree - If the person you are looking for is also looking for you, they’ll be able to search our trees in order to find you and get in touch.
My parents divorced when I was just 5 years old and I was formally adopted by my new step-father. 37 years later, I received an email via Genes Reunited. It was from my dad and one of my half-sisters! Twenty minutes later I phoned my dad, who was left completely speechless.
What else is available on Genes Reunited?
How much will it cost?
Start your family tree, find others researching the same family as you and read hundreds of helpful tips and advice added by other members.
Pay as you go
You can view any of our historical records on a pay-as-you-go basis and send messages to other members you think you have relations in common with.
Choose from one of our subscription options for unlimited access to historical records and contact with other members as well as many other benefits.