Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed finding Winifred's family please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 28 Aug 2011 20:23

Thanks to some great help I was given yesterday=I am making headway with my British Army ancestors! I was pointed to more info on Familysearch and got even more than I had on the actual marriage cert!!

Winifred Devine/Divine married in Kussowlie,Bengal Inida.she was only 16-and him 31 henry Charles Howard Strong.Her father is named as Patrick Devine. I would love to find her family-and work out why she was there!

I found a poss birth for her as Winefrida Devine 9 May 1853-but that would make her only 14 at marriage. Parents were Patrick and Winefrid in Liverpool,Lancashire.

On 1881 I found Patrick I think-hoping he would be retired army or something-but no!

I know Winifred died in 1878-have cert and now age ties up with the marriage as she was 28.

Can anybody help me find her journey to India-or with her family? I'm guessing she wasn't Indian with a father called Patrick-but could be wrong!

help appreciated.x

patchem

patchem Report 28 Aug 2011 20:34

If her Father was in the army she could have been born abroad?

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 28 Aug 2011 20:36

yes I suppose so-But I don't know for sure if her Father was. Was hoping someone can help me with that. If there is a service record for him-it would show her birth-but I've not managed to find anything yet-only the possible in Lancashire-but that gives no idea why she was in Bengal!! thanks

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 28 Aug 2011 20:42

have to go for a bit-hubby needs laptop for work!

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 28 Aug 2011 22:02

Possible brother to the Winifred who married Henry Strong. But as he was born in March 1853, he can't be the brother of Winifreda born in Liverpool in May 1853.

Nicholas Divin
India Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947

birth: 10 Mar 1853
residence: 1853 —Bengal, India
parents: Patrick Divin, Mary Divin

record title: India Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947
name: Nicholas Divin
baptism/christening date: 20 Mar 1853
baptism/christening place: Umballa, Bengal, India
birth date: 10 Mar 1853
father's name: Patrick Divin
mother's name: Mary Divin
indexing project (batch) number: C00955-6
system origin: India-EASy
source film number: 462985

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 28 Aug 2011 22:14

Searched for Nicholas to see if he married in the same area as Winifred. Unfortunately it looks like he also died as an infant...........

Nicholas Devine
India Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948

birth: 1853
burial: 21 Jun 1853 —Umballa, India
parents: Patrick Devine, Mary Devine

record title: India Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948
name: Nicholas Devine
burial date: 21 Jun 1853
burial place: Umballa, India
birth date: 1853
father's name: Patrick Devine
mother's name: Mary Devine
indexing project (batch) number: B01819-9
system origin: India-EASy
source film number: 462985

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 28 Aug 2011 22:39

Thanks Christina-interesting though-as it does look like there was a Patrick devine in India in the same area-so she could have been born there too-so maybe not the one from Lancashire! ts all the same area of India though. One of Henry and Winifreds children was also born in Umballa. will certainly bear all these snippets in mind!! keep them coming-they all add up to eventually (I Hope) make a bigger picture!!

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 28 Aug 2011 23:05

had a really good search on family search-but can't see a birth in India for Winifred under any spelling. maybe some kind soul could check army births for me? I would be grateful. If not I will have to try at my library on Ancestry when kids have gone back next week. I think I can look at that there!

Got to find her now!!!! thanks all-night

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Aug 2011 20:46

bit naughty really starting another thread on the same thing - not allowed by GR - I've probably repeated research on your new posting now - not happy :-(

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 29 Aug 2011 20:52

sorry -when i looked earlier this thread had actually disappeared from my area-would not have dremed of starting a new one else!

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 29 Aug 2011 20:58

hi-just wanted to apologise for my thread-but please believe me that earlier I could not find my existing one-it simply wasn't there. I would never deliberately waste other peoples time-especially when they are so kind. Please accept my apologies

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Aug 2011 21:03

apologies accfepted - if ever you lose your posting just go to "My Threads" under "Tools" in the green box on the left :-)

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 29 Aug 2011 21:06

I did-it just wasn't there earlier though -not sure what happened-having lots of problems tonight! am off now before I cause any more......