Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip - GR census - Next Page Problem Solution

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Nov 2010 18:35

If you need the next/previous page on a GR census lookup, here's how to get it.

There's no quick way to see the next image - what you have to do is look up a name on the next page, and see that. The first step is to view the transcription that GR has given you for the current pagge, as somewhere there is the census ref # that completely identifies the page you're seeing.
Here's examples from 1841/51/91:

RG number: HO107 Piece: 900 Book/Folio: 2/20 Page: 4
RG number: HO107 Piece: 2168 Folio: 337 Page: 1
RG number: RG12 Piece: 2848 Folio: 131 Page: 28

Now GR has a deal with FMP, so that GR just displays FMP's transcriptions and images, so we really want to know who FMP thinks is on the next page. Now anyone can do a search on FMP, so go to:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/home.jsp

and do a people search in the census, choosing the search by census ref option, then fill in the ref. (NB in 1841, enter the book/folio as folio=2/20, say, if we're using the above example)

What you'll see is the names on that page - without an FMP sub, you won't see more details.

Now, to get the names on the next/previous page, adjust the page #, and if that gets no hits, adjust the folio # too. That will give you a name to look up on GR so you can get the next/previous image (check the census ref of your GR lookup).

Ancestry will also let you search by census ref, and it will give his age for free. To search by census ref, you need to do an old style search with the exact matches box checked. The old/new style switch is at top right just under the main menu options banner. (First time, you might have to do a rubbish search or two to get this switch to appear - you will have to do a free register at Ancestry too, I think.) Ancestry has a different transcription from the one GR uses - of course, they mostly give the same names.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Nov 2010 19:20

I was looking for this tip earlier, so many thanks for putting it up again.

I like the way that you mention GR have a "deal" with FMP. Isn't it the case that GR are now wholly owned by FMP? Most if not all of GR's records are now sourced from them, methinks.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Nov 2010 21:29

n

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Nov 2010 05:02

n

I know I'll refer to this.

Thank you.

Maureen

mac

mac Report 14 Nov 2010 20:06

This is a great tip, have used it today with great success, had been wrestling with this problem for ages. Shame you can't patent the formula!

Many thanks
Julie

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 19 Dec 2010 00:32

hup

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 13 Mar 2011 15:47

Nudge so I can get this listed in my threads

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 25 Feb 2012 19:04

nudge
but I think there's more now?