Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 8 Feb 2011 21:19

I have just tried to use the search function for a person on my own family tree but it no longer works. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks Kay

patchem

patchem Report 8 Feb 2011 21:27

Mine is working fine.

K

K Report 8 Feb 2011 21:29

Many thanks - Will recheck tomorrow and see if it has sorted itself out

Keziah

Keziah Report 8 Feb 2011 22:21

I'm having problems too.
I discovered yesterday that on some of the trees I have access to when you hit the purple search button nothing happens. There is no drop down menu to select 'this tree' etc.
My own tree is ok. I was just going to come back in a few days time and hope it all sorts itself!

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 9 Feb 2011 00:07

Hello I have been having the same problem. Does anyone know why?

jax

jax Report 9 Feb 2011 00:50

I dont think it shows who you have in your tree on search trees. Just had a check on my grandmother and two people have her but no mention of me if thats what you mean?

jax

K

K Report 9 Feb 2011 04:59

Hi Jax

When I view my own family tree, or indeed any other trees I have access to, the search box with the purple button is unavailable - It has moved across the page to the left and I can't enter a name in it and the purple button doesn't work. Most strange.

Kay

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Feb 2011 05:58

Just tested it now and it works ok for me.

It could be that the tree is not fully downloading - a fairly common problem. Try clearing out your browser to provide some space, this often does the trick.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Feb 2011 06:57

My search boxes within my tree sometimes became unavailable if I had the wrong font size. Too big, and the boxes moved to the left and did not work. Tried it just now and that is what happened -so try making everything a little smaller and the boxes should shoot back up to their correct position.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Feb 2011 07:13

Good point.

If you have a wheel mouse, hold down the Ctrl key and move your mouse wheel up or down so that the page fits across your screen correctly.

Keziah

Keziah Report 9 Feb 2011 18:26

Hi K

Done a bit more experimenting. On the trees that the search button dosen't work for, I have navigated around the tree, up or down a generation, and then all works ok. Very strange. Hope this helps.

Kez

K

K Report 9 Feb 2011 19:29

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Came home tonight intending to try them and the search box has returned to the right place on the page and works!! Joy!!

I will keep all these tips for the next time it freezes

Many thanks Kay