Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boards...Trouble opening

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jun 2011 18:42

Is it a fault on the site or is it just me having trouble accessing all the boards.?
I can't access General Chat..or.. Find Living Relatives at all... I get an ERROR notice, with the Sorry message.
I also get this if I try to read beyond the first page of postings on the Find Ancestors board.

I can't report this via the Help page because I get the same message.

Anyone else have problems?

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jun 2011 19:28

Yes several times today !! especially galling when trying to add a reply that has some time to look up..

Still having to log in again time and time again too :-S

Persephone

Persephone Report 7 Jun 2011 12:14

From what I have seen Gwyn there have been all sorts of glitches.. go to submit a post and it vanishes... someone hit 3 emoticons in a row and that caused a backspace action and she lost her post.

Signing in these days seems to par for the course and there is no guarantee that you will get what you want.

I went to the messages and the drop down menu appears but each time I move the cursor down the menu would vanish it was like playing cat and mouse... I ended up dragging to get what I wanted same with boards summary.

I was beginning to think the error message was glued to my screen as it kept appearing so often. :-S

Persie

Sonya

Sonya Report 7 Jun 2011 12:56

Ditto! Plus problems with my message box. :-\

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 Jun 2011 13:11

So far the only way I have a fully working site, if a bit slow , is to click on the NZ flag at the bottom of the page and sign in there,

I recollect some time back a similar glitch was caused by a moving advert ?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Jun 2011 18:21

Please take a look at the Suggestions board and you will see threads about glitches and problems at this site.

There are so many threads here and on General Chat about all these same problems.

It may help to see the developer's responses in the threads on the Suggestions board.

For example:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1270355

"RE: Keep getting logged out"

The staff are apparently trying to figure out what causes all these problems ...

jax

jax Report 7 Jun 2011 18:54

I would love to look at the suggestions board JC...but I cannot

the only boards I can see is this one and Find ancestors cannot even look at my threads

I had to look for the Vindictive reporting post by using advanced search

I may just get my debit card out and take up online poker again :-(

jax

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Jun 2011 19:42

Snork.

Well it never happens to me! :-D :-D etc.

Want me to pass on a message? ;-)

The best suggestions so far seem to be

-- delete the bookmark (or "favourite" in IE) that you have for this site

-- clear your cache

-- get to the site independently -- just typing

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk

should do it.

Bookmark it (add it to favourites) once you get to whatever page you want to bookmark at the site.

I can't say whether any of that will work ... seems to for some, not for others ... because it never happens to me. :-P :-D

jax

jax Report 7 Jun 2011 20:09

Well I did'nt do anything mainly because I would not know where to start.

I can turn computer on and off search the internet and thats it

All back to normal now...but for how long?

jax

Persephone

Persephone Report 8 Jun 2011 05:34

Like Jax (well yes I do like her) I too could not get onto the suggestions board, or a couple of others.

I didn't have my little Australian Hat on when I answered Gwyn I had my NZ hat on..... I have been clearing everything back to zero methodically because of this hatius.

Brill that you can get in on the NZ link Lindsey I find South Africa or UK are my best way to getting on here.

I would like to get rid of that damn banner at the top... I have antibanner on my security system and had no banner until the last couple of weeks. I have played around with all my gadget fixers in my security and the banner plays on. I am thankful I don't get the side bar one.

I have ignored all others that have threads up re problems with site. I just showed favouritsm by answering Gwyn.

On line poker eh? ;-)

Persie who wonders why Janey doesn't have it happen to her :-)
Life is so unfair.

Persephone

Persephone Report 8 Jun 2011 13:35

I have solved the banner problem.

Go to Genes on google it automatically defaults to UK... up comes the banner... go to the website line and change uk to za so it reads genesreunited.co,za etc ... the site comes up banner/advert free and recognises me straight away without the signing in.

I think I will stick with that as all boards are shown, drop down box on messages and boards doesn't function properly so have to drag mouse for that one ... but that's ok, it will suffice.

The old Kiwi way was if anything is broke fix it with a bit of No 8 wire... It means make do. When my dad's pot lids lost their knobs he replaced them with old wooden cotton reels and they lasted forever. I sold a car once with a black cotton reel on the window winder, I had forgotten he did that, it was so good never got round to fixing it properly.

Persie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jun 2011 17:19

Oh.... Here we go again.....

After full access this morning, I come back this afternoon and get the maintenance message when I try to come onto the site in my usual way.
Nobody else has used the computer and all was OK when I left.

Finding a way in through a different 'door' via Google, I can't access Find Ancestors at all, or Living relatives. Can't get Board Summary either if I click Community tab.... All are having 'maintenance.
Likewise General Chat.

I don't understand computers. Perhaps access depends on which way the wind is blowing.....?

Gwyn

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jun 2011 17:35

Could be that GR are having maintenance? They have admitted there are a number of niggling problems so perhaps we should let them get on with it and fix them.....!

I know General Chat is off air for me, at the moment, possibly some other pages too.

PS
Best thing I know to get rid of ads is to use Firefox with Adbock Plus. You need to keep adding new advert addresses but it only take seconds.

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2011 17:48

What do you mean General chat is off air IGP ?

Nothing wrong with anything my end today can access all boards, although I have seen a lot of maintenance messages over the last few days

jax

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jun 2011 17:50

Thanks Inspector GP
I never know if it's a site problem or just me.
Phil seemed mystified when I told him of my recurring problems late one evening this week.
I'm busy this evening, so won't be using the site.
Perhaps all will be well tomorrow..........

EDIT
Thanks jax... That's just it. We don't all seem to have the same problems, at the same time.

Gwyn

Perchino

Perchino Report 8 Jun 2011 21:29

This is the reply I received to reporting similar problems:

Thanks for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems using the site. Please could you try using Internet Explorer 8? If you use this browser you shouldn't have any problems at all accessing and using the site.

If you'd rather use a different browser then please make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of it.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Laura
Genes Reunited Support Team

Only difficulty is that I do not use Internet Explorer, it has been removed from my computer and I have no wish to have it back!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 8 Jun 2011 21:35

It's always a site problem. Always.

And the GR staff don't read these threads on the boards, so all the threads about the same thing ... nobody here knows the answers! GR doesn't know the answers!

I see they're still sending out the silly emails about changing browsers ...

Meanwhile, GR developer Phil assures us that he and the team are trying to figure this all out and solve the problems.

If people would do as he's requested and post on the Suggestions board to explain what problems they are experiencing ...

This is about the being logged out problem:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1270355

There isn't one at the moment about error messages. Why not somebody start one?

I suppose I will.

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2011 22:09

I am using IE8 so what would they tell me if I emailed them? use IE9??

touch wood been ok today :-D

jax