Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Death Reg of Drummer Samuel Stowell - the

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 10 May 2006 11:29

I have just received some details regarding my great x4 grandfather Samuel Stowell service in the Coldstream Guards, from a researcher recommended by Heather Positive Thinker ( she should be on a commission!). They state that he died in June 1848 in Windsor. I then wanted to find his death so that I could maybe get his death certificate, but I can't find any record of it. The only possible is a James Stowell in Sept Qtr 1848 in Marylebone. His middle name could well have been James, but why would his death have been registered in Maylebone, when he died in Windsor? His wife's address where his last pay was sent, looks like 16 Guy ? Street, Rochester Row Middlesex. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kate

Kate Report 10 May 2006 11:48

If he died in Windsor then his death should have been registered there, not in Marylebone. Do you have the exact date of death? If it was right at the end of June then his death could have been registered Jul-Sep quarter, but if at the beginning of June then it should be Apr-Jun quarter. The GRO index images on ancestry for those quarters are typed ones, but they would have been copied from a handwritten list, so it is possible that Samuel's death was missed out when the index was typed up. If you have his name, and date and place of death then you should be able to order the death certificate from the GRO without the district, volume and page number (though it costs more that way), or you might be better to try ordering it from the register office that is local to Windsor. Kate.

Irene

Irene Report 10 May 2006 11:48

There is/was a Rochester Way in the heart of London(then named Middlesex) nr Vauxhall Bridge Rd so your ancestor may well have died in that area. There are also several hospitals and he may have died from his wounds in a hospital in that area. Might be worth it getting the death certificate to check it out. Good luck Irene

Lynn

Lynn Report 10 May 2006 12:39

The date of death according to the army records was 11th June 1848 at Windsor, and there aren't any male Stowell deaths listed in that qtr. It seemed odd that the registration of a death wouldn't be in the right quarter. I might well try the local office. I think that I will keep the James Stowell death in mind, if I can't find anything else. Thanks for your input. Lynn : )

Lynn

Lynn Report 10 May 2006 14:06

I've just had a look at an old map of London and now think that the address could be Grey Coat Street, Rochester Row, which is in Westminster, not too far from the Coldstream Guards barracks. I've tried searching for his widow Elizabeth (c1810 Cardigan Wales) there in 1851, but to no avail. I'm still looking for the contact details of Windsor Reg Office. Anyone know if they'e got a website?. when I googled, I got loads of references to the royal wedding there last year! Thanks Lynn : )

Denis

Denis Report 10 May 2006 14:14

Description: Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Information on Civil Marriages. Overview: Any birth or death occurring in the Royal Borough can be registered at one of the three register offices. For further information or to make an appointment telephone 01628 796422 or e-mail registrar@rbwm(.)gov(.)uk Denis (got married by this lot!)

Lynn

Lynn Report 10 May 2006 14:19

Thanks for that Denis! Lynn :-)

Denis

Denis Report 10 May 2006 14:25

I don't know how much information you have but this site may be of some assistance: http://www*coldstreamguards-boro*org/page3bhtm*htm Denis.

Lynn

Lynn Report 11 May 2006 06:48

Thanks again Denis and thanks for your pm, I will contact the Windsor Reg Office. Lynn : -)

Lynn

Lynn Report 13 May 2006 05:20

I have received an email from the Windsor reg office, saying that they have found an entry for Samuel Stowell! I shall be sending off for it today. Thanks for all the help Lynn : - )

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 13 May 2006 07:13

Supposing he died on a train travelling from Windsor to Marylebone?

Lynn

Lynn Report 13 May 2006 07:16

Oh Paul, please don't try & complicate things, this family are hard enough to find as it is! Lynn : - )

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 13 May 2006 08:24

OK then. I won't complicate matters further by suggesting that he was possibly garrisoned at Windsor (maybe even on guard duty at the castle) and that his regiment should have a record of his service and death. Also, that if he was indeed on guard duty, Windsor Castle itself might hold a record. I've found the library at Windsor very helpful and there are a couple of Windsor history sites that have also been helpful. I'll look through my notes and get back.

Lynn

Lynn Report 13 May 2006 08:47

Thanks Paul, I already have some records of his service, which is how I discovered that he died in Windsor. I did wonder if he would hvae been there at the castle, I certainly hope so, it makes it all seem more real. I have been to the castle, many moons ago, when I lived in Surrey. Its a long way to visit from up here in Yorkshire, but it would be nice to go back. Lynn : - ]

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 13 May 2006 11:00

Lynn, can I suggest you send an enquiry to: enquiries -at - BerksFHS*org*uk

Lynn

Lynn Report 13 May 2006 11:46

Many thanks Paul, I will do that! Lol Lynn

Lynn

Lynn Report 17 May 2006 10:57

The death cert arrived today and is the right one! The Windsor Regisery Office are very good, although it isn't a photocopy of the original entry. The moral of this story is that the GRO aren't always right! Lynn: - )

Kate

Kate Report 17 May 2006 10:59

Brilliant! Isn't it nice to be proved right? Kate.

Merry

Merry Report 17 May 2006 11:06

Did you tell them Windsor the entry is not on the GRO index?? I wonder if they bother to add them at this rather Late Stage???!! Merry

Lynn

Lynn Report 17 May 2006 11:24

Kate, Many thanks for your help Merry, I think I told them. Lynn