General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Signing in

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2012 08:24

I know we have had loads on this but I just need to sound off. Why did I have to sign in this morning when I didn't sign out last night. Maybe this is something that could be raised in London? :-S :-( :-(

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 27 Jun 2012 09:03

i have to sign in alot lately

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jun 2012 10:00

Havent had to sign in but its taken ages and lots of clicks on the desktop icon to get Genes to open

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jun 2012 10:16

There can be Several reasons why you may need to sign/log in when you never signed/log out

I don't understand why people have a problem with this,

By staying logged in whilst you are not online can be a security risk,

signing in and out is simple and takes seconds just a simple click on the sign out, Job done,

You don't have to type your login details every time you sign in you simply need to save the details to your PC then when you open the link from your favourites you just double click the space where you would type the details then if saved to your PC the details will appear then click the log in button, Job done, This takes me abt 3 seconds

Roy

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Jun 2012 11:02

why then am I getting

"internet explorer has blocked this site displaying content with security certificate errors?"

(mostly from the .au site)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jun 2012 11:19

Bob, The security certificate you refer to is in relation to trusted web sites,

These trusted web sites in your browser and the warnings you get relates to your settings for your browser you can change these settings if you go to Internet options, then security, privacy and also in the advanced sections

For more info also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931850

Roy

Edit, I think the main reason for the security certificate warning is because GR is a public forum and their for not a secure web site

The security risk i refer to is that if you stay signed in when not on the site leaves the door open? You would not go out for the evening and leave your house door open so why assume that its OK to do that with a web site,

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Jun 2012 12:34

Am I right in assuming that if you do not log off that you probably leave your computer on as well.

If you do not go offline then you really are leaving yourself open to hacking.

And surely with all the other problems, just having to log in is a minor irritation.

Merlin

Merlin Report 27 Jun 2012 13:25

I very rarely log off but do switch off computor when finished,sometimes I have to log on but not very often :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Jun 2012 20:28

Must admit I turn my computer off whenever I have finished.

I never log off of any sites I visit. And occassionally have to re-log in, mostly after an online update by microsoft or HP.

Do not find it a problem, just sometime have trouble remember which password goes with which site!!!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2012 20:34

Leaving your computer does not really pose a security issue if you have decent up to date security software installed.
This could be purely down to cookies - clear your cookies and you will undoubtedly need to re-sign in

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2012 22:27

P Pal (I think it was) asked if they were right in thinking I left my computer on. No you are not right, I always switch off at the end of the day and switch on again in the morning. I keep cookies cleared as well and have up to date security software. I never log out of either this site or my e mail and the only time I expect to have to log in is when I have run something like C Cleaner.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jun 2012 22:37

ErrolSheep, Have you never hear of "Hackers" these people hack into anything and everything and just see getting through a firewall or other security software as a small challenge, they can hack into the most secure systems given time, Its estimated that 1 in 4 computers get compromised every year,

The majority of people can have their PC hacked and not even no its been compromised

Roy

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2012 22:51

I believe I have heard of such a thing - I spend most of my time setting up security systems for SMEs
Leaving your computer on poses no more problem than turning it on when you use it if you have the correct system security in addition to anti virus etc.
Most computer attacks are because of laziness, ignorance and naivity

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jun 2012 23:09

ErrolSheep, as you work in the industry you will no that any time that your PC is connected to the Internet it can be hacked and posses a threat if that was not the case security updates would be obsolete and your industry would not exist any more laziness, ignorance and naivety may play its part but its not the whole story companies pay a premium to safeguard against attacks and still these hackers can find a way through so regardless of how good your security software is you still need to be careful

Roy

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2012 23:18

Roy you are absolutely correct in that hackers could potentially find a way through but let us not get carried away - your average PC - personal computer - is generally of no use to hackers unless you are careless enough to leave the back door open because it would take so much time and effort to download, analyse and interpret the information that it would be totally counter productive.
There is actually more risk from having your credit or debit card cloned/stolen.
Yes any time a PC is connected to the internet it COULD be attacked (hacking is different) but the actual likelihood is pretty minimal if you are sensible and have half decent security measures in place.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 27 Jun 2012 23:29

I don't turn my PC off in the day ,once I turn on.
I shut off the screen if I'm not using it.
I close down at night.

I occasionally have to log into GR tho I never log out....I don't know why.. phew no big deal !

If anyone wants to hack my PC, they wont find anything worth even having a giggle at.......no there are some funny / rudish e.mails on here !

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2012 23:32

I say, young Sadie - how racey

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 27 Jun 2012 23:37

Stop beating your chests, gentlemen - it's not a competition to see who knows more about computers, hackers and security :-P

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2012 23:57

I couldn't agree more - can I beat my chest now please?

Kense

Kense Report 28 Jun 2012 08:24

I have noticed on the other boards that those who complain the most also seem to switch between the different GR sites (.uk, .za etc).

This may mean that when a logout fault occurs they are logged out on all sites and thus have to log back on each site when they access it.

Sometimes when I am asked to log it it is because I have followed a link which has inadvertently put me on one of the other sites. I am still logged in on the one I use (.uk), so I either use the back button or reenter normally