Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Turnbull, Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katty1

Katty1 Report 5 Mar 2012 21:12

Hi

My mums friend is looking for her brother Thomas Turnbull who emigrated to Australia a number of years ago and they have lost touch.

The last known place she had for Thomas was in the bush area.

Thomas was born in 1930 in Bellshill, Scotland.

He married Margaret Miller and they had two children Thomas and Grace.

His son Thomas was in an australian band and he went under the name of Thomas Miller.

That is all the info she could give my mum.

Many Thanks

Tina

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Mar 2012 21:32

Archives of Australia site suggests that there were more children with them when they emmigrated in 1961

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ListingReports/ItemsListing.aspx?page=2

scroll to records 41 to 60 of 101

Gwyn

Katty1

Katty1 Report 5 Mar 2012 21:44

Gwyn...Many thanks for the info..it is much appreciated. It gives me more children to look for in the hope that my mums friend can find either her brother or his family.

Valerie

Valerie Report 5 Mar 2012 23:32

Katty1
The 'National Library of Aus' (on-line) has an 'Ask a Librarian' service ...they will trace them from electoral rolls .....especially as you have (some) full names. (should at least find 'Murdoch McLean Turnbull').

Valerie (WAus)

Katty1

Katty1 Report 8 Mar 2012 20:26

Hi Valerie

Thanks for your reply, sorry I did not post sooner as I was getting my mum to check with her friend who is Mary Turnbull (maiden name) - Sister of Thomas to see if it was the right family as she only gave two kids names to my mum. This is the correct family and all the kids.

The last address I have found for them is 26 Rothery Rd, NSW in 1980, but looking at address's in NSW now Rothery Rd is not there.

I will now see if I can find Murdoch to see if his father is still living (Mary is his older sister by 4 years).

Thanks again.

Tina

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Mar 2012 05:40

Tina,
if Rothery Rd is in a suburb starting with B it is now called Rothery Street

Barbara

Katty1

Katty1 Report 12 Mar 2012 22:42

Hi Barbara

Yes it is thanks.....just waiting on 'ask a librainan to get back to me'..hopefully soon.

Tina

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Mar 2012 23:59

Have a look at infobel few matches for that name.

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 3 Apr 2012 01:16

Hi Tina,
How did things go?

Kellie

Katty1

Katty1 Report 6 Apr 2012 21:41

Hi Kellie

Still looking....the library could only find James Miller Turnbull, but could not find the raiming family....did say they could have moved to another state.

The address they gave does not have him there anymore.

Thanks

Tina

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 8 Apr 2012 06:19

Hi Tina,
You were misled...the National Library does not do research under "Ask a Librarian" and it is againt the law for them to give out living peoples names and addresses...

Can you PM me the male childrens names and I will check for you?
Females (the daughters) may have married and be too hard to trace...

Kellie

patchem

patchem Report 8 Apr 2012 09:26

Kellie,
On this website;
http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/ask/
it says that librarians can spend 'A maximum of 2 hours research on each enquiry '
so are you saying that the research is not related to electoral rolls or family history?

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 8 Apr 2012 10:05

patchem..
Aussie has strict privacy laws and nowhere can give out info on living people...
it is just againt the law....

SA might do research for SA Family History......but NOT living people,,,

and lets explore the SA library first,,,
they have some indexes on PC and some on books etc...
the stuff on CD (which most of us have) they will look up,,,,
but if they have to search through books and research etc........you know how long that can take....AND they do charge by the hour......it isn't all free...

First 2 hours are free,.,,,,,iis only if you book in for a few extra hours reseach...

Kellie

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 8 Apr 2012 10:11

HI,,
not matter what any site says,,,,
If Kate supplies me the sons names I can look them up...
I have access to the indexes and it isn't an issue...

I do not know why I have to bitch and fight with all this chit......when I can just do the lookups and find the ppl....

I think it is best I just leave and Kate can find her own way around and hopefully someone else can check this for her....

I am so fed up with being questioned and going through this crap that I don't have a need to help ppl in here anymore....

Sorry I ever asked

Kellie

Ru

Ru Report 8 Apr 2012 11:52

Well said Kellie!!