Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Hot matches improvements

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JLP

JLP Report 21 Jul 2011 13:37

I would love to have three additional columns if that is possible
1 Surname of tree owner as well as first name. This would really help.
2 List of relatives matched , without having to open the link to look.

It would also be great if people deleted from My Contacts (to reduce the long lists of non relevant people) could NOT reappear on the hot matches list, please.

Also, after sending a message, it would be useful to be able to return to the hot match page you were looking at and not back to the main page, so, that if you have selected the NO optiion in In My Contacts, it goes back there and you don't have to start again, which is infuriating and time consuming.

Actually I would really lke the NO option to be the default but that's just my preference

Thanks
Jan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2011 14:59

Member surname, yes but then I don't have mine public.

List of matched relatives, yes but perhaps the reason it isn't this way is that it wouldn't all fit on the front page, unless there were only one or two.

Previously deleted from Contacts? Not sure if GR actually hold this information - may be possible but perhaps would need to be made optional.

Could you clarify what you mean by the NO option in My Contacts?

Return to same point after an action - avery big and definite MUST HAVE.

JLP

JLP Report 11 Aug 2011 19:41

In searching in Hot matches, if you want to see new people you haven't been in contact with, they could be anywhere in the list. They don't automatically appear at the end.
So, usually If I go to hot matches, I want to see the new people, not the old ,so select In my contacts at the top and ,eventually, the No list comes up first. If this was the default listing, so much time would not be wasted sorting all the time

Kense

Kense Report 11 Aug 2011 21:07

Don't you get that by clicking at the top of the New column?

At least with the current default you get the most matches listed first.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2011 01:17

most certainly NOT surname to be included!

Many, if not most, of us do not have our surnames listed for public view ........ on such an open site as GR, it is not considered safe.

I would strongly object to my name being provided willy-nilly in Hot Matches by GR

as for all the other suggestions, I wouldn't know, as I almost never use Hot Matches.

Most of the HM's that I do get are from the same people, the ones to whom I provided the information in the first place!

Have you tried using Search Trees as an alternative? Quite a few people find that the information from Search Trees is more helpful than HM's

sylvia

Kense

Kense Report 12 Aug 2011 09:28

If you are only concerned about your direct ancestors and you are well advanced in that quest then Hot Matches aren't particularly useful. However for those interested in siblings and other partners of their ancestors, and for those whose trees are not yet very advanced then Hot Matches can be very useful.

The main thing is that you don't have to do anything, they just turn up. To use search trees for everyone you are interested in is a daunting task and once you have done it you need to start again in case anyone has added relevant data to their tree. Another plus is that if you haven't worked on your tree for a while then it is likely that any new hot matches are from people whose trees are active.

The old system seemed to produce 100 new matches every fortnight of which I used to find about two or three were possible real matches. With the current setup although when you get some matches most of them are possibles, you don't know the rest of the time whether there aren't any matches or GR just haven't run the HM Program.

Ken

RobG

RobG Report 12 Aug 2011 13:41

Following on from KenSE's last point in the previous post, maybe an e-mail saying something like "You have no new Hot Matches at this time" would at least confirm the process has been run. Shouldn't be too difficult to impliment.

EdenHart

EdenHart Report 12 Aug 2011 15:26

I havent had any hot matches for about 3 months even though I have added about 200 people to my tree in that time! I have given up expecting any.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Aug 2011 19:05

This thread is intended for suggestions as to how the site might be enhanced, not to bemoan the fact that you haven't had any HotMatches.....!

JLP

JLP Report 2 Sep 2011 17:57

It is true you get the people with the most matches first. That is exciting when you first start out but after a very short while, you have spoken to them, maybe met them and have compared data so they don't need to be at the top.
I thought 'New' was for new names, not new people.?

philmoir

philmoir Report 2 Sep 2011 22:55

Some good news about hot matches. We've identified some issues with the hot match process, and it has for the last 24 hours been ploughing through the backlog, and hopefully by the middle of next week, everyone should have had some new matches (if there were any to find).

We're also to reviewing the whole matching process, so expect some big improvements coming. We are reviewing all the comments on the boards, etc. in this review, so don't feel your opinions are not being considered.

Thanks for all feedback so far
Phil

DrJan

DrJan Report 3 Sep 2011 15:34

I used to appreciate the facility to 'sort' hot matches so that all the new ones would come up at the start of the list - very sorry that that is not now possible, and I would like to see that function reinstated.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2011 15:51

Janet, you can sort. Just click on the heading for the column you want the list sorted by.

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 3 Sep 2011 17:24

I would find a column to add the 'main' surname in any matches or the facility to sort matches into family groups really useful

Jenpen

Jenpen Report 6 Sep 2011 15:11

Great to hear that GR are finally reviewing hot matches.
I appreciate some members did not like having so many hot matches that do not match. But there are obviously quite a lot of GR members who are more than happy to put up with not matches in order to get more hot matches. Personally I have greatly missed hot matches.
My suggestion is this. Can GR give members the option of choosing between the old system and the new system of hot matches?
Jenny

Dizzy600

Dizzy600 Report 6 Sep 2011 16:28

I would like the opportunity to view the 'new hot matches'!!!! Have had none for eighteen months!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher

Christopher Report 6 Sep 2011 22:15

I have not had any Hot Matches for some time now and I will not be automatically renewing my membership.
I do not know what these people were thinking or trying to do but they do not seem to have a clue how to do it.
A lesson with computers is to keep a backup and if it is the case that a new server was installed they should have kept the old on for a while.