Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

whalleys

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 14:43

dose anyone out there have a whalley link in heywood/rochdale/bury/heap as im beginning to think we just landed here

regards neil whalley

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2009 15:03

if you require help you have to put some forenames, dates and places on here

Ann

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 16:57

thanks ann but i wasnt looking for a specific person just wondered if anyone reseaching the whalleys had found themselfs in the places mentioned above already done a search on here but no help just trying to get a relative out of heywood lol ive been here since 1830 not a very adventures lot

neil
actually could do with some help on one but at work at the mo so will post later

regards neil.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2009 17:01

you can also check in Search Trees to see if your names appear in other trees on this site

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 21:36

ok peeps heres my pain in the neck one i have thomas whalley b1830 married to jane marshall b 1829 im now looking for thomas`s father who was also called thomas ( from cert) i think his dad maybe called william the thomas im looking for would be born around 1795 all of the family so far have come from heywood (heap) rochdale (casleton further) or bury if any one can find this match i owe you big time

regards neil.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2009 21:50

there are an awful lot of Whalley's in Lancashire - some going back to 1085!! but can't find yours - have you looked on the Mormon LDS site - which is free - you might find them where I failed

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 21:51

Too early?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THOMAS WALLEY Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH CROSSLEY Family
Marriage: 28 NOV 1769 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 21:58

You have this don't you?

THOMAS WHALLEY Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: JANE MARSHALL Family
Marriage: 11 NOV 1850 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 22:00

THOMAS WHALLEY Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: BETTY PAGE Family
Marriage: 10 APR 1814 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 22:03

Is this him?

THOMAS WHALLEY Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 15 FEB 1795

Christening: 05 APR 1795 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM WHALLEY Family

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 22:21

first thanks ann of gg for your time and effort its appreciated !

bloody hell cynthia that was quick i did come up with betty page but wasnt sure thats how i got the william yes i have the jane marshall, how do i know if its betty page or sarah crossley?

i think i love you lol regards neil.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 22:27

By working out the dates I would think. If you go on familySearch.org you can look all this up for yourself.
There are some Whalleys for the 1600s but it's better to take one step at a time and make sure you get it right.
I will go and find the post which helps you get through that site quite quickly and post it on here. Back in a tic.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 20 Jan 2009 22:30

pity - no father named
St Chad's

28 Nov 1769 Thomas Walley, Rylence,
Sarah Crossley
W: Thos Shaw, John Rigby

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Jan 2009 22:31

copy this and you will find lots of useful info.
http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=700931

An extra tip which is somewhere on the above is, when you are faced with a whole lot of names, click on ctrl and f and a little search box comes up. Type in the name of the place you are looking for and it saves you going cross eyed.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Jan 2009 22:33

Just to butt in - the Betty Page marriage was 1814 and the Sarah Crossley marriage was 1769.

Thomas Whalley + Sarah Crossley, who married in 1769, could be the grandparents of the Thomas Whalley born 1795, if his father William Whalley was their son, and Thomas Whalley born 1795 could be the one who married Betty Page 1814. But that's a few ifs, and a lot of Whalleys in the area. ;)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2009 22:35

I thik Neil wants to marry you Cynthia!!!!

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 22:36

isnt the thomas and sarah one a bit early for my thomas est born 1795?
or could i be wrong yet again lol

thanks for the link

Neil

Neil Report 20 Jan 2009 22:46

EvieBeavie

are you a detective ? i wouldnt of thought of that for another 2 years no wonder im crap at this family tree lark

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Jan 2009 22:54

There are those who have said I should be - a detective. It has also been whispered that I could make a career of blackmailing, with such an ability to ferret out facts ...

But that one was kinda obvious. ;)

Remember -- those are a lot of ifs! I'm quite fond of wild theories, but bare facts need some interconnecting in order to form a theory. ;)

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Jan 2009 22:57

Have a look here, and keep checking back for updated transcriptions:

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

There are currently 58 WHALLEY baptisms listed in Lancashire (try other spellings too). The format is a little simpler than the IGI (much will overlap), and the records may give more info - but keep in mind, mother's name is unlikely to be included in early parish baptism records.