Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Bayntun

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2009 14:55

Looking for Army Service Records in WW1 (records before October 1919), Army or Civilian service records after 1946 in UK or Germany, passenger information between UK and Germany and visa vera after 1949, and a death record around 1969, most probably in Germany for CHARLES BAYNTUN.

Documented proof of Charles is as follows:

My great Grandfather was born 26 March 1897 at 2 Denny Road, Edmonton. in the 1901 census, he was still at same address. In 1911, at the age of 14, Charles lived at 84 Winns Ave, Walthamstow, a school boy and still living with his parents.
On 11 October 1919, aged 22, living at 57 Eskine Parade?, Walthamstow, he married Violet Colenso Bale in the Register Office, West Ham.
Charles joined the Metropolitan Police Force on 13th October 1919,aged 22, served 27 years as a constable, and resigned from the Force on 13th October 1946 aged 49. He had been stationed at Walthamstow Police Station. At this time he was living at 1 Ardleigh Road, Walthamstow, E17.
I have found an telephone directry entey for him in 1967 living at 1 Ardleigh Road, Walthamstow.

Information given to me by older relatives:

I was told that after Charles left the Police, he served out in Germany with the forces (his wife Violet stayed here in the UK). On his return to the UK, he went back to live with his wife Violet, at 1 Ardleigh Road, Walthamstow. They realised that they no longer 'got on'. He returned to live in Germany and lived family he had met out there previously.

Although I have a phone book entry for him in 1967 living at 1 Ardleigh Road, Walthamstow, in actual fact, I've been told he was in Germany at this time living with this family. Charles's wife Violet was still living at 1 Ardleigh Road, but was rented in Charles's name, hence his name in the directory.

Charles, did write frequently to my mum, who was born in 1947 in Ardleigh Road (his grandaughter). The letters always came from Germany and when she wrote back, the address in Germany that she had was a BFPO address. My mum cannot remember the full address though.

After 1967, but before 1972, Violet moved back down to Devon, which was the county where she was born in 1900.

My mum married in November 1968. She remembers sending seperate invertations to her wedding, one to Violet and one to Charles, but both declined as each thought that the other would be at the wedding and didn't want to see each other.

Shortly after, mum received a letter saying that Charles was ill and was not of 'sound mind'. She passed the letter to her mum (daughter of Charles). Charles died soon after.

I have found a medal record card for a C. Bayntun, who was in the 7th Essex Regiment, rank - Lance Corpral Regimental No, 1907 receiving the Star Medle, roll K/2/11a page 5, Theatre of War First Served in: (2B) Balkans, date of entry therin: 11/08/15.
On the same record card, there is more info that looks like its been added at a later date. The rest of his christian name has been added, so now reads Charles Bayntun. There is a new entry on the card say he was with the 7th Essex Regiment, Regimental No. 300123 Rank: Acting Company Quarter Master Sergent, Roll K/2/107, B Page 21, medal EM/2/1674. I.V 1562 d. 9.9.20 Remarks: 68/121/1742(69)
On the Correspondance, is says (if I can read the writing): 6 1/c. No.2, Recs Warley fwds Nom Roll of Individuals entitled to the Emblem. 3-8-20. Comms. Met. Police fwds of P.C's ent to - Medals 12/1/21.

Looking at this medal card, I don't know if it is for my Charles Bayntun, but as my Charles Bayntun was 22 when he joined the Police in 1919, he could have served in WW1 before hand and the card does mention the Met Police and a medle forwarded in 1921, which was during his service in the Met Police.

Sorry for the long story.

Can anyone help in finding more info on the service records of the person mentioned on the Medale Card?

Also in finding my Charles's death cert and also any help in finding out about where and why he was in Germany before and at the time of his death around 1969?

Any help or info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Julie