Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find George Butler?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 19:10

Can anyone help me to find George Butler?

According to his marriage cert his father was William Butler. They were both coalminers. George was 22 at his marriage in 1903 - I have taken this with a pinch of salt - but still cannot find a George Butler born at around that time with a father named William. On the marriage cert he is recorded as being resident in Eastwood Notts.

I have no other clues as to his family. My cousin has looked into our Grandmother's family but has followed the female route not the male. George married our Great grandmother in 1903, Mary Elizabeth Hull.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Elaine

Heather

Heather Report 26 Sep 2009 19:13

Where have you looked so far? Have you looked for a birth for him

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2009 19:15

There is this one in the 1891 census....bit of a long shot!

Name: George Butler
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Emma
Where born: Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Hucknall Torkard
Ecclesiastical parish: Hucknall Torkard
Town: Hucknall Torkard
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image

Registration district: Basford
Sub-registration district: Bulwell
ED, institution, or vessel: 22
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
William Butler 38 occ Coalminer
Emma Butler 35
George Butler 9
Hannah Butler 6
Sylva Butler 4

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Sep 2009 19:23

Might be worth a look - William is a coal miner. Do witnesses to marriage offer any clues?

1891 England Census

Name: George Butler
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Emma
Where born: Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Hucknall Torkard
Ecclesiastical parish: Hucknall Torkard
Town: Hucknall Torkard
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Sub-registration district: Bulwell

William Butler 38
Emma Butler 35
George Butler 9
Hannah Butler 6
Sylva Butler 4

Jan

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 19:29

Hi Heather,

I havent yet searched for a birth as I was not sure that you could find out parents - and William a coalminer is the only clue I have! I have searched on family search - and I dont know whether it is the way I search, but I couldnt find anything at all - not even the 1881 census.

Hi Londonbelle,

I found that one but dismissed it because of Hucknall being the place of birth. My cousin seems to be of the opinion that he was born in Heanor. I live in Notts and although they are both within north notts I believe that there is 10-15 miles between Hucknall and Heanor!

Elaine

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2009 19:33

On the marriage certificate was his father, William, listed as deceased? Who were the witnesses on the cert?

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 19:34

Hi Janet,

The witnesses names mean nothing to me - Henry Hemstock and Mary Thompson.

I am not aware whether my cousin has the copy of his death cert or not but she reckons that George died on 16/4/1928 in Ilkeston Derbys [I think then still Notts]

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 19:35

No - Londonbelle - William not listed as deceased. Residence at time of marriage for both bride and groom was Daykin's Row, Eastwood

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 19:37

Oh - and they married at the register office in Basford [counties recorded as] Notts/Derbys

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Sep 2009 19:53

Just to be clear - is your only evidence for the birthplace the opinion of your cousin? The family above might be wrong, but not for that reason. Why is your cousin of this opinion?
I think Heanor came under Derbyshire, looking at other entries on census.
Jan

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 20:06

I dont know where she has the information from, Janet. And call me finicky if you like, but I need to have evidence! Which is why I am trying to check out the information she has given me.

I was hoping that I could just find something more concrete to work with - so I dont go off on a wild goose chase. I just want to know, before I add them to my family tree that the info is correct - I am sure that you know what I mean?

Do you think I should pursue the family that you and Londonbelle have kindly found for me?

Elaine

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2009 20:11

Have your found George & Mary Elizabeth in the 1911 census? As that could help to find out where George was born.

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 20:18

No - I havent. I will do that when I next visit the library - as I can get access for free.

Thanks Londonbelle - maybe that is the next step I need to take. I hope that it will be sucessful!!! May I come back to you all if I have no luck?

Thank you to all of you for your help. I will let you know if I find them on the 1911 census!!

Many thanks.

Elaine

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Sep 2009 20:23

If this is the correct entry for your gt grandmother Mary E Hull in the 1891 census..... perhaps it was she that was born in Heanor rather than George?

Name: Mary E Hull
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Edwin C
Mother's Name: Elizabetha
Where born: Heanor, Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Heanor
Ecclesiastical parish: St Lawrence
Town: Heanor
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image

Sub-registration district: Ilkeston

Edwin C Hull 38
Elizabetha Hull 32
William Hull 13
Mary E Hull 10
Arthur Hull 8
Herbert Hull 6
Frank Hull 4
Lucy Hull 2
Tom Hull 1/12
John Henry Mault 15

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Sep 2009 20:24

Elaine, I totally agree with you, and I wouldn't advise going with that family at all. It's just so tricky isn't it? I've had relatives with incorrect fathers' names and occupations, also fathers who are completely made up! And my great-grandfather helpfully dropped his 1st name when he married just to top it all!
In passing, have you found them in 1911? Now and then there is a godsend of a clue in a visiting relative, or more accurate info provided as of course in 1911 people filled in the forms themselves.
Jan

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 26 Sep 2009 20:26

These are all the Mary Elizabeth Butler's with a George living with them on the 1911 census

HOUSEHOLD BUTLER MARY ELIZABETH F 1906 5 Mansfield Nottinghamshire
HOUSEHOLD BUTLER MARY ELIZABETH F 1897 14 Mansfield Nottinghamshire
HOUSEHOLD BUTLER MARY ELIZABETH F 1876 35 Southwell Nottinghamshire
HOUSEHOLD BUTLER MARY ELIZABETH F 1861 50 Nottingham Nottinghamshire

All these were Nottingham, none for Derbyshire.

...and possibly your George... (not nessesarily in any of the above households!)

HOUSEHOLD BUTLER GEORGE M 1882 29 Mansfield Nottinghamshire

Tracey x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Sep 2009 20:32

A possible birth?

Births Jun 1882
Butler George Basford 7b 202

Jan

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 20:59

Londonbelle,

That is the correct family you have found for my g.grandmother. Maybe that is correct and my cousin in confused as to who was born in Heanor!!!

Her father Edwin Chester was born without a father and apparently made his father's name up! - as Chester Hull. His step-father was Thomas Betts.

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 21:01

Hi Janet,

I will look into the birth you have found. That may give me the clues I am looking for to take me backwards in time.

Thanks for appreciating what I am trying to do - I know that it sounds weird checking info that has already been given to you - but I need to know that it is correct.

Thank you.

Elaine

lainie39

lainie39 Report 26 Sep 2009 21:04

Hi Wayne/Tracy,

Oh dear - none of these seem to be the correct person - but thank you SO much for looking for me! It is very much appreciated.

Mary Elizabeth was also 22 yrs old on her marriage cert - so I assume that she too was born about 1880/81

Thank you for looking however. If you cant find it I dont hold out much hope for me.

I think that I will look at all this info again tomorrow with fresh eyes and brain!!!

Thank you to all who have replied.

Elaine x