Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Butler (Waterloo 1815)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cedric

Cedric Report 21 Mar 2011 15:54

Hi Everyone,

We're trying to find information about William Butler who fought at Waterloo. We already know he served in 2nd Batt, 44th Regt of Foot on 18th June 1815 but cannot find his birth, death, or marriage. although we know he married an Elizabeth.
Has anyone come across this person, or have them on their tree?

Any asistance would be fantastic, as we have drawn a blank with all the other f/h sites and obvious avenues of searching.

Many thanks
Keith

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Mar 2011 15:57

any idea what part of the country he came from or where he married?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Mar 2011 16:02

And can you explain how you know he married an Elizabeth? Remember, you have all this information, but nobody else does. ;)

Is he in a census with his wife/children, for example? The census information could be very helpful, so if you have it ... as Ann o' GG says, a location is kind of crucial.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/chelsea-pensioners-service-records-collection-search-start.action

British Army Service Records 1760-1913

Is he in those records? There are 3 William Butlers with dates of birth 1775 to 1786 who would seem the best bets (I don't subscribe to see the records). Two seem to be Irish. (Maybe he's related to W B Yeats? ;) )

I did recently find a grx3 grandfather of mine in those records from the same era -- but this may be what you already have ... although if so, it should give a place of birth or at least enlistment.