Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

john butler and bridget scanlon/ scanlan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Apr 2011 20:25

john butler born 1835 approx, married my ggg gran bridget scanlon, her name differs throughout my info, however its spelt scanlan, scanling and scanderling but scanlon is the correct name, this is why have have been struggeling.
she married 11 march 1878 age 41 at a church in stanningley/ bramley leeds, as i have her marriage certificate.
im trying to find her death certificate as i want her date of birth from this. i think she died before 1901 as john butler was a widower on 1901 census.
i have been in touch with sligo heritage centre and they have 2 bridget scanlons born 1834 and 1838 with the father named james. im sure its the 1838 bridget scanlon/ scanlan. please can anyone help me as the birth certificates in ireland are 12 euros each and i want to buy the correct one.
thank you xx

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Apr 2011 20:31

Nearest I can find:

Deaths Sep 1899
Butler Bridget 63 Bramley 9b 258

The death certificate will cost you £9.25. I'm not sure that it would have exact date of birth. (But I'm sure someone else can clarify).

Dawn

Dawn Report 6 Apr 2011 20:34

thanks,xx
its a start, it was doing my head in.

Liam

Liam Report 7 Apr 2011 00:36

you may have this

on the 1891 census she's living at no 3 Thrift Street,Bramley
Bridget Butler wife aged 56,
estimated year of birth 1835,so this could narrow it down for you,
place of birth,
Ballymouth,Co Sligo

PaulS

PaulS Report 17 Dec 2011 11:01

Hi

I am also trying to hunt down Scanlons from Ireland but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

My grandfather was John Scanlon (b circa 1887), son of Martin Scanlon who was a farmer according to John's marriage cert. He was married in 1915 in Birmingham to Mary Anne Hughes, age 31, Draper's Assistant whose father John Hughes, Farmer from Rattin, Kinnegad in Westeath.

The only "John" son of "Martin" I can find in 1901 Irish census is from Ballydoogan and details are as follows:

Ballydoogan St. Johns Carbury Sligo
Household - Scanlon
Martin(58) gardener
Norah(53) wife
James(25) fireman
Jane(18) dressmaker
Margaret(15) monitress
John(12)
Robert(9)
Norah Williams(4) cousin

I also have details of an 1889 baptism of John Scanlon, son of Martin and Honoria McGoldrick from Woodville in Sligo if this rings any bells.

Any information on relatives of any of the above would be very welcome!

Many thanks.

Paul Scanlon

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 18 Dec 2011 15:00

Hello Paul,

You have responded to a thread from earlier this year and Dawn may not be looking for responses anymore.

It would be better for you to start your own thread as there are plenty of members willing to help out. Take a look at the Help Clinic in the top left hand corner for more advice.

Also, if you are looking for contacts on this site, try putting the names you are researching into the Search Trees box (above in the dark green bar), to see if anyone else has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owners.

Hope this helps. Cx.