Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Butler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 15 Apr 2006 03:49

Let me start by saying that I am just a novice at family history and have not had access to much in the way of sources, so please be gentle with me! On a family tree of the Butlers of Kirkland (whose accuracy or otherwise I am trying to establish) drawn up in 1915 by (probably) my great-grandfather*, there is a quotation from a document in Latin, but with no citation as to source (and I don't know where the copy he took it from has gone in the last 91 years). It reads as follows: 'D'ns. Ricardus le Boteler, qui habuit totam terram de Hout Rawcliffe, et unam bovatum terrae in Stagnole, ex dono consang. sui Thebald Walteri Pincernae Hiberniae. Ao 9 Ed. I.' which I translate as: Master Richard Butler, who had all the land of Out Rawcliffe, and a bovate of land in Stainall, as a gift from his cousin Theobald Walter Butler of Ireland. 1280/81. Given the date, I think the Theobald referred to must have been the fourth of that name to be Butler of Ireland (b. 1242 d. 1285). There is also a note that the original lands in Amounderness in Lancashire had come to this branch of the family as they were 'settled upon' by one of the younger sons of an earlier Theobald, who (given the dates etc.) seems to have been the second Butler of Ireland (b. 1199/1200 d. 1230), though it could have been the first (b. c. 1160 d. 1205). The first name on the tree is 'Robertus Pincerna', who could be this younger son. His grandson, Almeric le Boteler (Richard's father), is shown as marrying Beatrix Villers, heiress to the Barony of Warrington, and of Richard's son, Sir Walter Butler, it is said 'to whom Theobald Walter Butler of Ireland, gave lands in frank marriage'. Sir Walter's wife appears as 'Johanne de Syffewaste'. Can anyone shed some light on these points and/or suggest where I might look for corroboration? *I am assuming that it was Rev. Arthur Butler, Vicar of St Margaret's Olton, Warwickshire, as he included the names Hubert, Theobald, Walter and Herveius (all prominent in the early generations of the Butlers of Ormonde) in the names of his sons, as well as Almeric mentioned above, and therefore seems to have had a distinct fascination for the family history.