Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Butler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 12 Mar 2005 14:28

EMMA BUTLER/BURTON/LANGLEY I'm trying to find out more about Emma Butler, born 31st January 1869 in Manchester. She married Joseph Burton in 1886 and they had a son James in 1888. The marriage only lasted a short time and in 1891 she was living with her parents and using her maiden name. In 1896 she had another child, registered as Grace Langley Burton. I suspect that Langley was the name of the child's father. I can find both children on the 1901 census but can find no trace of Emma. My mother remembered her as Grandma Langley, which suggests that either she married Mr Langley or adopted his name. I know nothing about him, but believe she/they may have had other children. Emma seems to have had something to do with the canals and was apparently nicknamed 'The Loch Queen'! She lived in Chapel St, Hulme and died in 1954. Can anyone help me to fill in the gaps? I'd be most grateful - she's becoming an obsession!!! Lynne