Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Butler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Sep 2004 02:37

Traying to trace the ancestors and decendants of Charles Elvin Butler. The Elvin may be a confirmation name. He was born in Canada around 1880 and was a soldier in the Canadian Army in WW1. According to family history he was a widower and during the war became the pen friend of my grandmother Nora Foster (nee Ormerod) a window. On their wedding License of July 1919 he gives his age as 39 and declares himself a bachelor. Nora had a daughter Leonora Foster from her first marriage. There were five children of the marriage. Clara, Walter, Margaret and Albert were born in the USA, supposedly in Boston. Stanley the youngest was born in Wales when the family returned to the UK. Clara's married name was Brill and she and her husband emigrated to Australia. Walter died in the UK in September 1977. Margaret's married name was Shepherd and she had one daughter Eileen. When Eileen was an adult, Margaret divorced her husband and I understand went to Australia. Albert was serving in the British Navy and jumped ship onto a US vessel claiming his US nationality and served out the war with them. He stayed in the US and married Eleanor. They had several children. Stanley also married and had several children. I did hear that either Clara (who preferred to be known as Clare) or Margaret had joined Albert in the USA.