Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Butler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Jul 2007 10:56

Martha Nellie Butler- ( sometimes used Nellie) Martha Nellie Butler married a Herbert Edward Girling ( born in Mutford). I have no date for their marriage. Their only son Brent Edward Girling was born in 1952. Brents birth certificate shows Martha and Herbert lived at 84 Margate Road in Southsea in 1952. And Brents marriage certificate shows the adress as 85 Billy Lawn Avenue, Leigh Park. I cannot find a marriage for Herbert and Martha, i need this to get Marthas fathers details, likewise i need the birth certificate of Martha for her mothers name/mothers maiden name. The information i got from Porchester cremotorium puts Marthas birth year as 1911 ( she died 1997). I have managed to research the Girling side of the family ( with lots of help and support from you lovely people on here) but i am really stuck with the Butler side. I do not know where Martha was born or where she married. Martha and Herbert were my Grandparents. Unfortunately my Grandfather died before i was born so i know nothing of him, I didnt see my Grandmother from being 3 years old as my parents split up- and my father died before i could find out anything about his family. When i attended Brents funeral in November 2001 there were a couple of cousins ( i think they were on his mums side- but i was in a bit of a whirl and cant remember their names etc) Brent died whilst on holiday in Cyprus- does this ring any bells?) I cant find a marriage for Herbert and Martha on the freebmd site, theres nothing on the latter day saints site, ive looked on ancestry.co.uk and no-one ive contacted on this site seems to have any conection. Can anyone help? Do you have any suggestions? I live in Bolton near Manchester and i am unable to go to Portsmouth to try and track any information down. ( it would probably be a wild goose chase anyway as ive no idea where to start!!) Thanks for taking the time to read this. Nicola xx