Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can u help?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

helgahole

helgahole Report 13 Jul 2009 21:49

i was adopted in 1974.According to the paperwork i have from the private adoption my natural mothers name was L.A.Hawkes.I have found my birth entry on the list under Hawkes and was surprised to find i was born in Grimsby not Basildon as my birth certificate states.I assumed my natural mother was not married as she was quite young according to my mother.After doing some more digging i have found her maiden name to be Charlesworth and that she was in fact married to Malcolm Hawkes in 1973.It also appears that her name was Susan.I did contact the salvation army register some years ago but it came back negative.Now i have no idea what to do all the information i have makes all the paperwork i have look false.I am very confused as to why a couple who were married would give up their child,especially as they married before i was concieved.I just want to know if i have any siblings and try to understand now that i am also a mother why my natural parents did what they did.What should my next step be?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jul 2009 21:57

Are you sure you have found the correct birth for yourself in the birth indexes because if your birth certificate states that you were born in Basildon then I can't see how you were born in Grimsby?

If a married lady has a baby and gives it up for adoption there could be many reasons for this. Perhaps her husband wasn't the father, or perhaps their circumstances meant it was impossible to keep the baby.

I think you need to check everything you have found before you go any further.

Kath. x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 21:57

Could a family tragedy have caused the decision they made?

Back in the early 70's redundancy was high, very high... economic facters could have played a part, your natural parents may have seperated. There are many many reasons as to why people do what your natural parents did.

To accertain if there are any natural siblings to yourself you would need to search from the marriage date to see if there are any other children matching your birth registration details.

Are you sure you have found the right details for your natural mother, if you were told she was called L A Hawkes, why would you now think her name was Susan? You could indeed just have found a similar marriage to that of your natural parents.

Does the paperwork you have state your mother was unmarried or give you any clues as to your original birth location?

Tracey

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 21:58

Kathleen...

are we connected by our crystal balls tonight.... thats twice now we have come up with the same answer at the same time lol...

T x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jul 2009 22:03

LOL, Tracey. :-)

Kath. x

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 13 Jul 2009 22:04

im guessing your name is Samantha Hawkes? if so there are three entries for this name around the time you was adopted. One does include an entry for Epping which is not far from Basildon

ValT

ValT Report 13 Jul 2009 22:13

Hi

I do believe you have the wrong birth entry for yourself as I have found Susan Hawkes living with Malcolm Hawkes and their daughter Samantha E Hawkes.
They were together in Lancashire up to 2005.

ValT

ValT

ValT Report 13 Jul 2009 22:21

Hi again,

I think I have found a birth entry that could be yours.

ValT

Sheila

Sheila Report 13 Jul 2009 22:25

Samantha

I am pretty certain you are following the wrong lead, it looks like your BM was single when she had you will pm you the info.

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 13 Jul 2009 22:35

are u refering to the un named female hawkes entry on the same page?

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 22:39

Derek

I would suggest that does look like the right entry...

I am trying to look for subsequent mariage entries that would match a female L A Hawkes.

Tracey x

Sheila

Sheila Report 13 Jul 2009 22:41

Hi

Snap found one but that would put your BM about 24, I know you say she was young Samantha but how young ?

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 22:43

There is a marriage of a lady matching the initials & surname of the BM, marriage in Southend on Sea the following year.

The birth place and this marriage registration are only 33 miles apart.

EDIT: cannot see any children from this marriage...?

Tracey x

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 13 Jul 2009 22:46

sent u pm tracey

Sheila

Sheila Report 13 Jul 2009 22:46

There are a couple of possabilites here, think the first thing you need to do is order a copy of your orig birth cert.

Did you not get a copy of this with you paperwork Samantha ?

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 22:50

Derek

I have replied

T xx

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 13 Jul 2009 22:51

I said 33 miles apart.... i read google wrong, it 33 MINS apart.... 20 MILES!!!

Tracey x

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 13 Jul 2009 22:57

got ya

so there is possible marriage for this L A Hawkes and a family.

x

ValT

ValT Report 13 Jul 2009 22:59

Hi all I have searched marriages 1978-1981 and there is on one entry that matches BM initials and surname and that was in 1981 in Wandsworth.

Earlier one seems more likely given the district.

ValT

Delboy1978

Delboy1978 Report 13 Jul 2009 23:01

Hi Vait

we have found one in 1975