Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLIAMS WIFE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bighen

bighen Report 11 Nov 2008 20:04

Hi all, I need help to find William Cole and wife.All i know is he had a daughter Martha Ann dob1855 born Devizes Wiltshire who married George Henry Blackmore in 1880 in Greenwich .I have Martha and George on the 1891c with their family.At the time of Marthas marriage William was deceased.i know nothing else about him.Thank you

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2008 20:09

If you bought Marthas birth cert you would have both parents names and dads occupation plus Marthas address at birth. On the marriage cert what is Williams occupation or does it just say deceased?

Have you found Martha in 1861?

bighen

bighen Report 11 Nov 2008 20:14

Got the cert but only the fathers name is on it ,his occupation is labourer.Yes looked on 1861 but no luck .

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2008 20:16

You mean you have just the marriage cert? Not the birth cert.

bighen

bighen Report 11 Nov 2008 20:19

Sorry i have a marriage certificate for martha

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2008 20:28

No I cant seem to find a Martha with a dad called William in 1861 either ???

bighen

bighen Report 11 Nov 2008 20:33

Very strange ,i thought it was just me.As i say i have her on 1891c living at 21 prior st greenwich seems they were there a while as its 10 prior st she was at when she married.any ideas?

Nigel

Nigel Report 31 Mar 2009 02:43

Hi Bighen

I had a quick look for the birth record - and couldn't find anything, but playing around - I found a christening on LDS for Martha Cole in Maddington, Wiltshire (about 10 miles from devizes) the christening was 5th July 1857 (and could be quite a while after the actual birth!). The father was William Cole and the mother was Anne. Is it possible that the certificate you have is misleading??

I also looked on the 1881 census and found Martha/George and Ada under Blackman. (The written part is more correct as Blackmaw!)

Hope this helps, Nigel

Nigel

Nigel Report 31 Mar 2009 03:03

Hi Bighen

This might be a longshot too - in the 1861 and 1871 census you can find the Coles, litterally there is William, Anne and Martha Coles (and others) at Shrewton-cum-Maddington.

Regards Nigel

bighen

bighen Report 31 Mar 2009 13:46

THANK YOU NIGEL,
I WILL HAVE TO LOOK A BIT FURTHER INTO WHAT YOU HAVE SENT ME . PAM