Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing a birth mother's line

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoire

Victoire Report 13 Nov 2008 13:28

Hi

I am really stuck with my Grandfather's tree. He was born Frederick Abel Cole in April 1912 to Edith Cole in Richford Cottage, Richford Street London. I believe he was then adopted by Abel Bunn. I would like to trace my tree back through the Cole line but am unsure how to do this. I only know the above information about Edith and when I looked at the 1901 census, there were lots of Edith Coles and 2 in the Fulham area.
I really would like to know how I can ascertain which is my Edith Cole. Does anyone have any idea how I could do this? The only other info I have is anecdotal- my grandmother remembers going with my grandfather to see his birth mother and she said she lived in a big house in an affluent area- this was in the late twenties/early thirties.

Many thanks!

V

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2008 14:12

Official adoptions didnt start till the late 1920,s
Was there any connection from Abel Bunn to Edith Coles

Michael

Michael Report 13 Nov 2008 14:13

It is along slow job , as I have been in the same boat,staring with very little info.With help form people in here and searching the records it is the only way.Try Ancestry.com ,at the library it is free and you can look at the records without paying.
Best of luck, dont give up.

Mick

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 13 Nov 2008 14:16

Is this his birth? I suppose the initials don't stand for Abel and Bunn do they?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Frederick A B Cole
Name: Frederick A B Cole
Year of Registration: 1912
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: Cole
District: Fulham
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 425 (click to see others on page)

Richford Street is in Hammersmith and Fulham area.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2008 14:21

this one seems to be the nearest one.
1901 census

Name: Abel Bunn
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Eliza
Where born: Willesden, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Paddington
Ecclesiastical parish: St John Kensal Green
County/Island: London

Street address:5 Sixth Avenue

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Paddington
Sub registration district: North West Paddington
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 67
Household Members: Name Age
Abel Bunn 24
Eliza Bunn 27

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 17; Folio: 41; Page: 10

Victoire

Victoire Report 13 Nov 2008 15:01

Thanks for such speedy responses! I have my grandfather's birth certificate and it says his mother was Edith Cole and gives the address I put in my original message. How can I find who Edith Cole is; ie which Edith Cole from the records - there are so many. There are 2 mentioned in the 1901 census in Fulham but I suppose that just because my grandfather was born there it does not mean his mother neccessarily lived there eleven years before his birth! How can I trace her? I wondered if there was a link somehow with the Bunns as Edith basically reversed the names, calling her son Frederick Abel whereas his adoptive father was Abel Frederick but I guess if the adoption was arranged privately, Edith may have known the names of the adoptive parents. How can I determine which is my Edith?

Many thanks for all your efforts!

V

On my grandfather's birth certificate name of father was left blank. On his marriage certificate he wrote his father was Abel Frederick Bunn Blacksmith but if had been adopted he would write this anyhow, I guess.

Penny

Penny Report 13 Nov 2008 15:04

Did Edith marry Abel Bunn?

Victoire

Victoire Report 13 Nov 2008 15:15

Hi Minnie,

I don't think so. I was always led to believe
my grandfather was adopted.

Many thanks

V

Victoire

Victoire Report 13 Nov 2008 15:21

Hi Aly,

I don't know much about Abel. I guess it is possible he was the father but was married. Is it likely his wife would bring up the child. I think he may have been born in Willesden in 1877, a black smith possibly married to Eliza born 1874. Although I was told anecdotally that Frederick grew up in Norfolk.

Thanks for your help!
V