Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Rosie May Cole

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 11 Apr 2009 00:07

I have been looking for the death of Rosie May Cole, my dads sister. She was born 1896 in Chertsey and is on the 1901 census. I know she died before she was 18, and on the 1911 census there are 3 children who died, I know 2 of them so assume the 3rd is Rosie May which means she must of died before she was 15. I have searched the gro records with no luck and am at a loss as to where to look now.
If anyone can help I would be really grateful.
Thanks
Sue

Sue

Sue Report 11 Apr 2009 22:48

Thanks Cass, I am pretty sure that this isn't the right person, she died before the 1911 census and as far as I know was still at home. Is it possible that she got left of the gro records by mistake? Has anyone else had that happen? If this is the case which I am beginning to suspect, is there a way of tracing the death certificate.
Sue

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Apr 2009 23:28

I have just been through the quarters 1899 to 1910 and not found her ( unless I missed but don't think so ), edit ..to 1915

Irene

Irene Report 11 Apr 2009 23:38

Perhaps she is not dead in 1911 but working in service somewhere so not living at home. Irene

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Apr 2009 23:57

this is a very long shot, but supposing that she was still alive in 1911, but not at home when census was taken...might it be possible that she married very young and therefore her death reg' in married name?

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 12 Apr 2009 00:56

I think Cass maybe right

I may be way out here ---but there is this death index

Deaths December (quarter) 1916
Cole Rosey M
age 20
Chesterfield 7b 853
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a long way from where she was born but she could have been in service OR on the 1911 census there is a Rose COLES in (this is what I did a search on )
First names ROSE
(I tried Rosie May/ Rosey May/ Rose / May ect)
Birth Year 1896
Birth Year +/- 5 years
Birth Place CHERTSEY SURREY

And this is what it came up with that was nearest to Rosie.

COLES, ROSE 14 F INMATE

COLES ROSE (RG14PN23780 RD464 SD2 ED79 SN237)
Institution name ST MARY'S HOME HOUSE OF MERCY
Address ST MARY'S HOME RUSHOLME MANCHESTER County Lancashire
District Chorlton Subdistrict Ardwick
Enumeration District 79 Parish

I guess this is a hospital ?? Have you any idea what she died from -- or the other children ??
Barbara x

I have looked at the original scan now on 1911 census --it does say this Rose Coles was born Chertsey and is 14 years old. but it does look like Cole to me on the original. !!
If you "google" "ST MARY'S HOME RUSHOLME MANCHESTER " there is quite a lot about it.

Sue

Sue Report 13 Apr 2009 00:26

Hi everyone, and thank you so much for your help so far..... I have ordered the death certificate and hope that this is the same person.
There were only 8 children - I was pretty sure about that, on the 1911 census it says 8 children born 5 still living 3 died, I can account for 2, one drowned, the other died of pneumonia, and Rosie May I had been told died of diptheria, so naturally assumed she was the 3rd child that died before 1911. I had been told she died in her late teens early 20''s, but thought that couldn't be right if the 1911 census stated 3 children had died, so now I am a little confused, was she sent away for some reason, and then it was assumed she had died, or was there another child that I haven't heard about??, but that can't be right otherwise there would of been 9 children on the census. Her 2 older sisters were in service, but why was she so far from home? If this is the same girl, her mother died 3 months after her of appendicitis - such a shame.
Sue

Sue

Sue Report 22 Apr 2009 22:14

Just want to thank everyone for their help in my search. I received the death certificate today and it is my dads sister, it has cleared a long-standing mystery up for me.
Thanks
Sue

Pam

Pam Report 14 Apr 2011 15:58

I am also looking for a Rose Cole ( nee Harris). Born 1887 in Warrington Lancs but lived as a child in Berkshire. Looking for her date of death she was my grandmother whom I never met. Mum died when I was 4 so I could never ask her about my grandparents James Percival and Rose Cole They lived in Pemdevon Rd Croydon. Any info appreciated

jax

jax Report 14 Apr 2011 16:06

Pam you are replying to old posts

It would be better to start one of your own

jax

Christine2

Christine2 Report 14 Apr 2011 16:17

Jax is right, but I found this before I realised -

Could this be her death? - Though I'm wondering if she got her birth years mixed up. The only birth I can find that looks similar to what you describe is in 1889.

Possible death -

Name: Rose Cole
Birth Date: 20 May 1888
Death Registration Month/Year: 1975
Registration district: Surrey South Western
Inferred County: Surrey
Volume: 17
Page: 1195

and birth -

Births Jun 1889
Harris Rose Warrington 8c 234

Marriage details, in case you don't have them -

Marriages Sep 1913
*********Cole James P Harris Newbury 2c 617
***********Harris Rose Cole Newbury 2c 617
Maggs Albert J Radbourne Newbury 2c 617
Radbourne Kate Maggs Newbury 2c 617

and his death?

Name: James P Cole
Death Registration Month/Year: 1962
Age at death (estimated): 73
Registration district: Croydon
Inferred County: Surrey
Volume: 5g
Page: 123

Pam

Pam Report 15 Apr 2011 16:19

Christine, Thanks for info. Yes Rose was born Warrington 1889. Married J P Cole in Sept 1913 I have that Certificate but not too sure about death I thought she died before 1937 I was given this impression by an old aunt but did not take much notice at the time as I had not started on this trail and my mum (her daughter) died when I was 4 so info was not availablel!!
Where did you obtain info from please? I will have to get Death Cert to check.
Appreciate your help.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 15 Apr 2011 16:49

I got it all from Free BMD and Ancestry Pam.

Pam

Pam Report 20 Apr 2011 15:17

Christine
Appreciate your help. Details of birth and marriage are correct and of J P Cole death but I was under the impression that Rose Cole died before 1935. My mother, her only daughter as I understood it to be, died in 1942 and I never met my grandmother. If she had been alive at that time I am amazed that she had no contact with me. If I obtain death certicate listed above how can I be sure it is the same Rose Cole?
Pam

Christine2

Christine2 Report 21 Apr 2011 11:02

I have sent you a private message Pam. You will find it in the in box of your messages (above).