Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Randolph Davidson 1861 - Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 Mar 2008 16:30

William Randolph married Mary Black in 1893 in Dunfermline - trying to trace details of Williams mother and father William and Barbara and their parents. Can anyone help please.

Sheila

Sheila Report 5 Apr 2008 22:28

William Randolph Davidson and Mary Black had the following children:
Elizabeth (Black) b1890 Dunfermline
Magdalene b1894 Newburgh, Fife
Mary b1896 Newburgh, Fife
Wilhemina b1898 Newburgh, Fife
John William b1999 Newburgh, Fife
Charlotte b1912 Kirkcaldy, Fife
Tom b1909 Kirkcaldy, Fife
Alexander Wishart b1903 Newburgh, Fife
They also had a Barbara b1907 in Newburgh, Fife who had a twin sister Robina

Still looking for information on the birthplace of William Randolph and his parents and in turn their parents. Is there anyone out there who can help.

Sheila

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Apr 2008 22:08

Spend £6 on ScotlandsPeople and get 30 credits. To view the results of a search is 1 credit. To view a cert is 5 credits. You could get 5 certs.

Usually on Scottish birth certs it gives the date of the parents marriage.

Then you can look for the marriage and get the full details of the parents and then look for their marriage.

A bit surprised with this request as you obviously have a lot of info so not sure why you have not found out the names of his parents

Sheila

Sheila Report 20 Apr 2008 19:49

I have looked on ScotlandsPeople without success and spent quite a lot of money on stuff that proved useless.
William Randolph and Mary Black married in 1893 so should have been on the 1901 Census, however Mary is on the Census with her children at Sweerie Lodging House (Lodging House Keepers Wife). I have been unable to find William R. so don't know where he was born. I know his father was named William and his mother Barbara (ms Davison) on his marriage certificate which I managed to get from ScotlandsPeople, I have been unable to find his birth certificate and therefore the information on his parents.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Apr 2008 20:44

1861 best guess

Name: Barbra Davidson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : William
Where born: Cumnock, Ayrshire
Registration Number: 578
Registration district: Ayr
Civil Parish: Ayr
Town: Ayr
County: Ayrshire
Address: 43 Carrick St
ED: 8
Household schedule number: 59
Line: 6
Roll: CSSCT1861_82
Household Members: Name Age
Agnes Davidson 3
Barbra Davidson 24
Mary Davidson 2
William Davidson 30 Kibbart Portpahick, Wigtonshire
William Davidson 5 Mo

As 1891 Scottish census can be searched on Ancestry by occupation it might be worth a try using whatever occupation William gave on his marriage cert

Sheila

Sheila Report 20 Apr 2008 21:05

Thank you for that Glitter Babe - I have this information and managed to find the above on the 1861 Census, 1871 Census and then he vanishes - his mother Barbara seems to have died and in the 1881 Census his mother is listed as Agnes. In the 1891 Census his father is not there either or in the 1901. I know that before he married Mary Black he was living at Bruce Street, Dunfermline a Lodging House run by her family (this is what it says on his marriage certificate in 1893).

Sheila

Sheila Report 20 Apr 2008 21:15

On William Randolphs marriage certificate both he and his father are listed as Coal Miners.
Not sure how you search Ancestry by occupation but I will try.

Sheila

Sheila Report 24 Apr 2008 18:02

The family from Ayr all seem to have been in farming - no coal miners.
Still looking for William Randolph have looked once again at ScotlandsPeople and two further birth certificates without success. Maybe someday, someone will have the answer!!
Thank you to all who have tried to help me.

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 May 2008 21:22

Still looking for information on William Randolph Davidson.

Sheila

Sheila Report 7 Jul 2008 00:42

Barbara Davidson b13.09.1907 at Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife was a twin she had a sister born 5 minutes later than her named Robina - does anyone have any information on this family that they could share. Have still been unable to trace the birthplace of their father William.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 7 Jul 2008 00:52

how old was William when he married?

Sheila

Sheila Report 7 Jul 2008 01:00

Hello Jeanette,
He was 32 when he married and Mary Black was 22.
Grandma

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 7 Jul 2008 01:03

this is the only marriage I can find for William Davidson / Barbara 1855 - 1865

I know the area may be wrong but coal miners moved a lot to follow work

1862 DAVIDSON WILLIAM YOUNG BARBARA TRADESTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/09 0216

Sheila

Sheila Report 7 Jul 2008 01:08

Thank you for that Jeanette - I have looked at that but I think their William married someone else. I wonder though if he was previously married to someone else before be married Mary Black? I suppose it could be possible.
I also found one William Davis (which later became Davidson) and Barbara Hardie (Hardy) married in Ayr - will have another look at the one you mention.
Thank you,
Grandma

Sheila

Sheila Report 25 Feb 2009 22:45

Still trying to find out where William (Randolph) Davidson was born c1861, I now have copies of all his childrens birth certificates.
Mary Black died in 1945 and I have her death certificate and some of her childrens.
I have copies of the marriage certificates of his children, well the ones I have been able to trace and have shares in Scotlands People with the amount of money I have spent and still I am unable to find where William Davidson came from and then search his family back.
He only appears to use the middle name of Randolph on his marriage certificate.

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Aug 2010 15:26

Still looking for William Davidson!!!!!!!!!