Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WAR MEMORIAL WETHERBY RD HARROGATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 10 Nov 2010 23:34

Hi,
Can anyone help me. My grandfather William Randolf Davidson died in 1920 in a hospital for wounded soldiers in Harrogate. I have been told that in 1920 Grand Duchess George erected a war memorial to the soldiers who died in her hospitals. The memorial is on the corner of Wetherby road next to the stray.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY INSCRIPTIONS ON THE MEMORIAL AND IF THERE ARE ANY LOCAL BOOKS AVAILABLE TO BUY REGARDING THE HOSPITALS FOR THE SOLDIERS.
tHANKYOU

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Nov 2010 00:21

www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/x-YhpohMRvil... - 41k - Similar pages
GENUKI: Knaresborough
16 May 2010 ... A transcription of the War Memorial at St. Mark's Church, Leeds Road, Harrogate. A transcription of the the War Memorial in the grounds of ...

www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Knaresborough/ - 20k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Nov 2010 00:21

BBC - A History of the World - Object : Red cross brooch
In 1914 Grand Duchess George of Russia came to Harrogate with her two daughters ... In 1920 Grand Duchess George erected a war memorial to the soldiers who died ... It can still be seen on the corner of Wetherby Road, next to the Stray. ...

www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/x-YhpohMRvil... - 41k - Similar pages

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Nov 2010 00:22

Heritage Open Days
Wetherby Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 1DE. Description. Visit this 30 acre site featuring the Crematorium, Memorial Gardens and Cemetery, ... Cemetery and War Grave Commission Cemetery where 1000 Canadian airmen are buried. ...

www.heritageopendays.org.uk/directory/print/laa/Harro... - 22k - Similar pages

Carol

Carol Report 11 Nov 2010 19:54

Thanyou for all the information.
Regards Carol

IanPJS

IanPJS Report 12 Nov 2010 06:25

Hi Carol,
There are 5 photo's of the Wetherby Road war memorial and details of the inscriptions on the Yorkshire Indexers website. There is no William Randolf Davidson mentioned though.

www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk Click on the link Yorkshire War Memorials.

Regards, Ian

Carol

Carol Report 16 Nov 2010 22:47

Hi Ian,
Thankyou for the information I will take a look at the site.
Regards Carol

Sheila

Sheila Report 11 Dec 2010 20:20

Hi Carol,
Did your William Randolph Davidson come from Scotland??

My husband had a grandfather called William Randolph Davidson who was born in c1860 - could there be a connection here?? He lived in Fife.