Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please Help!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 Jan 2008 08:39

Very new to this 'game'..and struggling already!!! I dont know very much..and what I have isnt adding up. I'm looking for my Grandads family side...all I have was that he was born in Belshill Maty Unit Lanarkshire in 1923..he was named Andrew Davidson. His mother on his marriage cert is named Catherine Davidson(no dob) domestic servant..her address 'Domicil' County Hosp Motherwell. No father mentioned..nothing about being illegitimate either. Apparantly my grandad may have been brought up by his grandparents in Aberdeenshire. He moved to St Cyrus in 1933 where he was looked after by a Donald and Frances Beveridge. His guardian in school records is named as John Davidson.......any help would be grateful.

Sarah

Penny

Penny Report 6 Jan 2008 09:50

his birth cert is what you need - ask someone( or buy some credit) to look it up on Scotland people website

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 6 Jan 2008 10:58

Minnie/Sarah

Without knowing the exact details of his birth you will not be able to get a cert. Scotland is governed by different laws from England, and the birth records are locked from about 1906 onwards. This data is not searchable like it is here in England.

You will really need to find someone who has the original cert or knows all the information.

Regards

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jan 2008 11:50

Did he serve in WW2?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 6 Jan 2008 12:07

Do Scottish death records tell you anything helpful?

alviegal

alviegal Report 6 Jan 2008 16:04

I have looked on SP and there is no death registered before 1957 for an Andrew Davidson with mother's maiden name Davidson. So he either died after this, which he most probably did, or his mother did not use her maiden name for his birth.

Margaret, Scottish death records gives you name and occupation of father and name and maiden surname of mother, plus cause of death, informant and relationship.

Liz

Sarah

Sarah Report 12 Jan 2008 21:03

Hey folks thanks for your help..like Wayne said..with Scotland having different regulations its becoming a nightmare getting info..and until I can find out more the Registry in Edinburgh are very reluctant to help me either. I have asked relatives and persons brought up with him...seems very little is known but I sometimes get the feeling some just arn't saying...!!!!!

I have his Birth..Wedding..and Death Certificate and his mother is named in them all as Catherine Davidson(dont know if Davidson is either her married or maiden name but where does 'John Davidson' come from on school records????) no mention of a 'father' in any of them..the Birth certificate I have apparantly is an 'extract'. He had to send for this so he could marry my Granny..

Does anyone know if you can obtain hospital records..or payroll records..may explain why his mother was staying in a hospital in Motherwell..was she 'put away' to work there in disgrace?? What happened to her after childbirth??

He wasnt in WW2..I had been told that apparantly his 'father' went to Fiji (when I dont know) serving in a military service( I think) cause when my Grandfather went to live in St Cyrus he was the only member of the family (that he was brought up with) that got put to school as money was sent over to pay for his schooling...

The mystery continues.........!!!!

Sarah

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Jan 2008 15:28

Thanks for the update Sarah.

By coincidence I used to live in Fiji as well, back in the '70s. No help to you at all I know!!

I wonder if John would be Catherine's brother perhaps if he was down as guardian. It does sound as if she was unmarried.

I don't suppose you know the grandparents in Aberdeens names? What about the Beveridges? I'm not finding any births for Donald. Were they relations at all?

Sorry not to have any more info but I do wish you good luck in your search.

Liz