Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re : Elliott's Chip Shop, Heanor, Derbys

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 24 Sep 2008 16:15

I am trying to locate decendents of George J Elliott, born Heanor, Derbyshire c1877. George married an EMMA ROSE HART in 1902 and they had one child ARTHUR ERNEST ELLIOTT born 1904.

George commenced work in the old brickyard at Commonside, Heanor, then worked in the mining industry for 32 years. In 1924 he started an ironmongery shop and in 1927 established his well-known business as restaurant proprietor of a chip shop on Ray Street, Heanor.

Any information on George or his family will be gratefully appreciated.

Ann Marie

Ann

Ann Report 24 Sep 2008 16:20

Yes I have Marriage Certificate showing his father's name as George and mother's name as Sarah Hannah Elliott. George was a miner.

I have also found out that George J changed his surname from CALLADINE to ELLIOTT, but why and when I have no clue.

Julia

Julia Report 24 Sep 2008 16:24

A - I live in Heanor, and have done for most of my life.
In my younger days, (I am in my 60s), I can remember a chip shop on Ray Street, at the High Street end. OH seemsto think it was Elliots, but I am not sure. It is now a carpet shop.
If I can help further, please let me know.
Julia in Derbyshire

Ann

Ann Report 24 Sep 2008 16:24

Thanks Julie.

How would I go about finding out why and when he changed his surname?

Thanks.

Ann

Ann Report 25 Sep 2008 07:49

Thanks to Julie and Julia for replying.

I will look into all the information you have given me.

Julia

Julia Report 25 Sep 2008 10:55

A - I have PM'd you
Julia in Derbyshire