Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 20 Nov 2007 11:16

I can find only one reference to a Margaret Folien which is her marriage to Thomas Cowburn. She was born circa 1840 in Lancashire possibly Salford. Her mother is supposedly called Catherine and her father's name given on marriage cert is Dominic who is supposed to be French and was an overseer in a Manchester mill. I have tried the street reference given on marrige cert in 1861 but can't find any reference to her, her mother or her father anywhere. Can someone please give me some advice and possibly point me in any direction. I think she had her first child out of wedlock in 1860 and she was called Eliza but again cannot find anything for her either except her marriage to Wm Hyde in Manchester in 1880. There is a possible corruption of the name which could be Follen but again I can find nothing. I have also tried to find the witnesses without much success. Hit a huge wall here. Where am I going wrong?? Any suggestion or hint would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for reading this plea.

SueS

SueS Report 20 Nov 2007 20:09

Have a look at the 1871 census civil parish Hulme...head of house Thomas COUBURN and wife Margaret age 29 born Manchester, plus 11 year old Eliza and other children...there is a 62 year old mother called Catherine born Ireland but her surname has been transcribed as PALAW but the writing is very poor...not sure about that P..

Susan

Susan Report 23 Nov 2007 13:42

Hi Sue

Many thanks for replying and giving me your time. I had seen this census which confirmed what little info I have & as a result I obtained birth certs for some of the children which was not easy as a lot of the info does not tally but cannot find anything for Eliza who is my direct descentant. Anyway this where I discovered the corruption of the spelling but still cannot find anything for Margaret before her marriage at Manchester Cathedral to Thomas. Not sure which way to go now so any advice is very much appreciated.

Once again many thanks.

Susan

SueS

SueS Report 23 Nov 2007 21:23

Hi Susan

have had a long look but can't find them either....the closest I could get to a birth for Eliza was Elizabeth FODEN whose birth was registered at Manchester Juje quarter of 1859 which fits an 11 year old in 1871 census. Did Margaret have an occupation on her marriage certificate?

Sue