Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ben Forster

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ben

Ben Report 1 May 2006 13:07

In addition I believe that Forster is an Anglisisation of Foerster, of the type carried out by foreign immigrants when they immigrated to English-speaking countries. Foerster is an old German name, and if you search Forster on this site you will find that Foerster is a variant, and at least one of these people came from German of former German territories.

Anne

Anne Report 24 Nov 2007 18:44

Forster - I am one - could also well a derivative of forester, from their trade/work.
However when I go to France, Italy etc I'm always asked if I'm German - in which case the German Foersters must have very strong genes, or something, for a likeness still to appear today! All 'my' Forsters hail from Northumberland. Read 'Devil Water by Anya Seton, or the poem 'Young Lochinvar' by Walter Scot or visit Bamburgh Castle. There certainly used to be a saying in Northumberland that 'God made Adam and Eve then he made the Forsters'! So there's some fun for anyone wanting to know more about our wonderful surname! Anne.