Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charlotte Gittins (1877) Cradley, Herefordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 16 Jun 2010 09:03

I a lot about Charlotte until she was 14
Charlotte Gittins
Age 14
Estimated Year of Birth 1877
Relationship to Head of Household Servant
Occupation General Servant
Address School House, Queens Road
District Bromyard, Bishops Frome
Parish Cradley
Administrative County Herefordshire
Birth Place Cradley

But after this she disappears off the genenealogical radar screen. I could not see her in marriages, deaths, nor in the censuses. Also quite mysteriously in 1891 she is the servant of an Amy Serson (?) aged 29 born in Gloucestershire a school teacher - what happened to them? I know that some people in the area emigrated. Did they? Any help for info from 1891 onwards would be great.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 16 Jun 2010 09:15

Possibly 1881?

Charlotte Gittens
Estimated birth year: abt 1877
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Timothy
Mother's Name: Mary Ann
Where born: Cradley, Hereford, England

Civil parish: Cradley
County/Island: Herefordshire

Street Address: Mittons Gate
Education:

Registration district: Bromyard
Sub-registration district: Bishops Frome
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Timothy Gittens 41
Mary Ann Gittens 33
Arthur Gittens 11
Timothy Gittens 9
Mary Gittens 8
Alice Gittens 6
Charlotte Gittens 4
William Gittens 2

Timothy is a labourer in a stone quarry. All born Cradley

Christine2

Christine2 Report 16 Jun 2010 09:20

Parents marriage?

Marriages Jun 1867 (>99%)
Philpotts Mary Anne Bromyard 6a 901
GITTINS Timothy Bromyard 6a 901

Christine2

Christine2 Report 16 Jun 2010 09:47

I think this is her family in 1891 - Father and son Timothy mistranscribed as Smithy -

Smithy Gittins
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Where born: Cradley

Civil parish: Cradley
Ecclesiastical parish: Cradley
Town: Acton Beauchamp
County/Island: Herefordshire

Registration district: Bromyard
Sub-registration district: Bishops Frome
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Smithy Gittins 51
Mary Gittins 42
Smithy Gittins 19
William Gittins 12
Mose Gittins 8
Fanny Gittins 5
Sarah Gittins 1
Florence Gittins 5

Stephen

Stephen Report 17 Jun 2010 15:49

Thank you, but still nothing after 1891. I can't locate her in the censuses afterwards or on freebmd or the other sites. I tried to see if she emigrated but could not find her on passenger lists.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Sep 2010 09:20

Re: Charlotte Gittins 1877

Did you get anywhere with your research? I am not researching Gittins but I have a Sarah Gittins born circa 1849 Cradley. She married into the Hopkinson family which is my research.

Your Charlotte's father Timothy Gittins circa 1840 and my Sarah Gittins circa 1849 were brother and sister.

Timothy Gittins was the husband of Mary Anne Philpotts born circa 1849 Cradley. I have them having 10 children one of whom was the Charlotte you are researching.

Timothy and Sarah's parents were Timothy Gittins born circa 1811 and Charlotte Smith born circa 1809 - marriage 4th February 1837 Cradley, Herefordshire. They had 9 children - doesn't make it easy!

Why I am looking back at the Gittins family is because I had got a bit mixed up with the Sarahs but I have sorted it now. There was another Sarah and Hannah Gittins born in Cradley circa 1849 but they ended up in Canada and USA.

I hope you have been successful in your research.

Elizabeth

Stephen

Stephen Report 28 Sep 2010 08:12

Thank you very much Elizabeth for this additional information - the Gittins family is very extensive!

David

David Report 16 Aug 2014 22:49

If anyone's interested. I have been researching several of these families - including Gittins, Philpotts and Hopkinson - as preparation for an event in Cradley Church on 17th September 2014 marking the Centenary of WWI. All had family members who died in the war.

All the best, David

David Robertson
best contacted via [email protected]

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Aug 2014 00:20

David, see the replies in the other thread you posted in about replying to old threads and how to try to contact the author, and also about not posting personal email addresses here (someone will likely report your message for deletion if you don't edit it out)

actually I see you are replying to these messages to try to find families of WWI soldiers on behalf of a church project ... so maybe some tolerance will be shown

you can send your personal email address privately to the people you want to reach of course

if you have a paid subscription now that is not a 'trial' subscription, it will just revert to a free subscription when your paid period expires

that means that you will not be able to send private messages, but if someone sees your posts here and sends you a message, you will be able to reply to them

(so anyone who does want to reply to you should keep that in mind and click on your name to write to you privately - and you need to remember to keep your email address in your account at this site up to date :-) )

one other thing ... see my 'research' line below ... if you click Watch This Thread, and your account here is active as either paid or free, you will get email notification of any replies in the thread in future