Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Micheal Akers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Micheal

Micheal Report 28 May 2006 10:47

trying to find information regarding wifes grandparents.Henry Harris who married ( ?.)Lillian Christina Stewart they had 7 children Fredrick.b.1927.Ernest Wilfred.b.1923.Lily dorothy.b.1921.Samuel Alexander.b.1920 all born in Reading, Berkshire.Evelyn Gertrude.b.1916 b.Furnham.Henrietta Lillian.b.1914 ( ? ) and Older son known to her as Uncle Bun.born( ? )Uncle Bun married Auntie Win who came from Birmingham and they were last known to be living in St Micheals Road, St Micheals Estate in the 1970's. Last time she saw them or her cousins was in the 1950's-60's when they visited grandparents in Zinzan Street. Reading, she can remember her Mum giving her Black Doll to one of her Cousins. If there is anyone out there who can throw any light on things please get in touch as we cannot find eldest children on any records or marriage of grandparents who met in Scotland when Grandfather was working on Balliney prison.He was a master builder and most of his sons followed in his footsteps.Grandmother was of Irish descent, but again cannot find any information through Scottish sites which seem to be very sketchy.Can't find births of oldest children in English sites either. Hope someone can help. It would also be nice to hear from long lost cousins.

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Apr 2014 15:04

Hi Michael

I hope you are still contactable, as I have just started looking into my family history and I am pretty sure you are talking about my family here. My grandad was H H Harris (possibly Harry) and nickname was Bon. He married my nan, Winifred Weaver Harris. Bon lived in Zinzan Street as a child and then in St Michael's Road, Warwick, with my nan, when I knew them. My dad and auntie are helping put some of the jigsaw pieces together, and my auntie mentioned Bon having brothers Fred and Wilf and a sister Barbara (Babs), so not all of the names tie up, but I'm putting that down to memories fading!

I also know that Bon's mother was born in Blarney (so I'm told) and that she was born on Christmas Eve and died on Christmas Eve (we don't know the years), but I have no other information, so for you to put the name Stewart into the pot is a real help! Bon was also a builder!

I have been on ancestry.com and have found some mention of Win Harris (my nan), but just cannot find anything on Bon, as his real name seems to be a mystery!!

I hope you pick this message up and we can help each other find some more answers.

Debbie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Apr 2014 15:34

Debbie

It's unlikely that Michael will pick up your response as he has only posted 8 times .

You could try to contact him by using the send message facilty under his name .

If he has the same email address he will get your message and can then respond .

If he is longer a member he can't make the initial contact with you but can reply to any message you send

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Apr 2014 18:29

Thanks for the advice Shirley, that's really helpful. I know it's probably a long shot!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Apr 2014 20:23

If you need help Debbie, you could start a thread of your own.

Reading Michael's post, I wonder if the prison that Henry Harris was building was actually Barlinnie Prison in Glasgow. That may help you to locate his marriage if he married in Scotland.

Debbie

Debbie Report 9 Apr 2014 21:41

Thanks rootgatherer, I will do that if I don't hear anything. And thanks for the prison info, that could prove useful. Much appreciated.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 00:01

in case it helps while you're here Debbie, I wonder whether Bon might be this one

Births Mar 1918
Harris Henry (mother Stewart) Reading 2c 584

and it would be common for a son with the same name as his father to have a nickname and of course Harry is also a nickname for Henry

searching at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

for Harris children with mother Stewart in Reading finds the others

Samuel A 1920
Lily D 1922
Ernest W 1923
Frederick R 1927

Evelyn G was born 1916 Farnham
but there is no female birth between 1911 and 1916

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 00:06

Name: Henry Harris
Birth Date: 11 Mar 1918
Date of Registration: Nov 1991
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Mid Warwickshire
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 31
Page: 499

Name: Winifred Weaver Harris
Birth Date: 17 Jul 1921
Date of Registration: Dec 1993
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Mid Warwickshire
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Register Number: A24B
District and Subdistrict: 7751A
Entry Number: 75

the date of birth for Henry matches the quarter of registration of the birth I posted above

the deaths would match by location

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 00:17

Marriages Mar 1939
Henrietta L Harris & George O Davies - Reading 2c 664

Marriages Jun 1950
Henrietta L Harris or Davies & Albert E R Davis - Reading 6a 290

this suggests that she was divorced (as a widow's birth surname would not be mentioned in her marriage record)

here we are, her date of birth on her death record matches the info Michael posted

Name: Henrietta Lillian Davis
Birth Date: 2 Nov 1914
Date of Registration: May 1994
Age at Death: 79
Registration district: Bracknell
Inferred County: Berkshire
Register Number: 22
District and Subdistrict: 3181
Entry Number: 208

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk shows two births in 1914 in Scotland for the name Henrietta Harris ... both answer to 'henrietta lil' ... I don't have credits to see any more details

I'm not sure whether you would be under the cut-off (100 years?) for viewing the certificate on line.

(I'll send Debbie a PM)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 00:28

and I wonder whether this is Lilian Christina Stewart's death

Name: Lilian C Harris
Birth Date: abt 1887
Date of Registration: Dec 1957 (Christmas eve?)
Age at Death: 70
Registration district: Reading
Inferred County: Berkshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 106

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 00:40

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY63-DMJ
Name: Lillie Christian Stewart
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: Jul - Sep 1913
Event Place: Cork, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1913
Registration District: Cork
> Volume Number: 5
> Page Number: 55
GS Film number: 101262
Digital Folder Number: 004199364
Image Number: 00539

is a match for

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY6Q-P44
Name: Henry Harris
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: Jul - Sep 1913
Event Place: Cork, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1913
Registration District: Cork
> Volume Number: 5
> Page Number: 55
GS Film number: 101262
Digital Folder Number: 004199364
Image Number: 00516

(Irish marriages at familysearch do not match spouses, you have to find the spouse who matches by quarter and year, place, and volume and page number)

so she is probably the birth I'd had my eye on

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBZ3-VP8

Name: Lillie Stewart
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: Jan - Mar 1887
Event Place: Tralee, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1887
Registration District: Tralee
Volume Number: 5
Page Number: 547
GS Film number: 101061
Digital Folder Number: 004193975
Image Number: 00426

although that would make her a year older than the death record states (not unusual at all) but would match a birth in late December, registered in January of the following year.

for a young woman named Lillie to become Lilian as an adult around the time of WWI is not surprising, I had one in my own family - old fashioned or simple names were being abandoned for more modern or sophisticated ones.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Apr 2014 09:52

You would have to wait until next year to view / download the birth for Henrietta from Scotlandspeople but you would be able to order the certificate. Scottish birth registration give the date and place of the parents marriage so you would have confirmation of the marriage that Joonie has found. The chances are that the two births found will be the same. If Henrietta was born at the maternity hospital her birth would be registered in that district. The registrar would then notify the registrar for the district where her Mum lived and he would also enter it in his book.

Debbie

Debbie Report 10 Apr 2014 11:05

Oh wow, thanks JoonieCloonie ... this is amazing. I've found some of the records you've posted above, but you're clearly a lot more experienced at this, as you've found out so much more. I can't thank you enough.

And thanks rootgatherer for the extra tips.

This is AMAZING.

Potty

Potty Report 10 Apr 2014 11:59

There is a tree on Ancestry for the Akers family that has Lillian and Henry's marriage as being on 8th July 1913 at Church of St Anne (Shandon); Lillian's father, Andrew. Henry's occupation in 1913, Private 2nd Battalion Kings Own Yorkshire infantry, father John.

If you don't have access to Ancestry, you will be able to view the tree on the Mundia site.

Debbie

Debbie Report 10 Apr 2014 12:45

Thanks Potty ... yes I will check Ancestry. You guys are amazing ... I clearly need a lesson in how to search this info, as I keep hitting brick walls! Thanks so much. I'll check out Mundia too.

Potty

Potty Report 10 Apr 2014 14:10

If you Google, there is quite a lot about St Anne's Shandon - apparently it has world famous bells!

Potty

Potty Report 10 Apr 2014 14:19

For future ref - it may fit somewhere - you can view the image on this site:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Web: Ireland, Census, 1901
about Lillian Stewart
Name:Lillian Stewart
Birth Year:abt 1888
Relation to Head:Daughter
Residence Date:31 Mar 1901
Residence Place:Solway Street, Victoria, Down, Ireland
Household Members:
Name
Age Andrew Stewart 39 Boilermaker, b Scotland; rest of family b England
Edith Stewart 37
Lillian Stewart 13
Ivy J Stewart 2
Isabella Stewart 7
George Stewart 20
Edwin Stewart 10
Henry Stewart 18

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Apr 2014 14:41

oh good one Potty and I bang my head

as you can see it was very late when I was searching so I guess some brain cells had gone to sleep ... I thought to myself when I found the marriage and birth record for Lilian, oh drat, so she wasn't in the 1911 census ... of England ...

and completely failed to take it that one step further and type national... into my address bar and have firefox take me to the Irish national archives census site :-S

I thing the census must be a little off anyway (maybe some dittos) since it does seem Lilian was born in Ireland.

Debbie thank you for the PM and I will get back to you tonight hopefully before the brain starts nodding off :-D