Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Howells

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tony

Tony Report 2 Feb 2003 12:36

Morgan Howells. Morgan was born somewhere between 1824 and 1828, in Ystradgynlais, Breconshire, according to the 1841 Census. He certainly got married in Ystradgynlais Church (26/02/1848). when he said that his father was William Howell, Farmer. Morgan died with twelve others in a pit explosion in Aberdare (08/03/1861) and his wife and three of his children subsequently settled in Gaiman, Chubut, Argentina. I am finding Morgan very difficult to trace. The only likely William Howell in the parish of Ystradgynlais was an Anglican, and no son Morgan was baptised from his farm - in fact no suitable Morgan is to be found in that parish at all. Morgan. you might suppose, was Chapel - but his wife was unusual over in Patagonia for being Church. The parish of Ystradgynlais borders on Carmarthenshire (where I can't get and cannot find anyone at all who'll help) and Glamorgan, where I have found a possible, even suitable, Morgan Howells - but he raises more difficulties than ever. I suspect that there were language problems at census time, the census-taker's Welsh perhaps being inadequate, but I'm stuck whatever. Any helpful suggestions very gratefully received. Tony