Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John & Grace Hunter, Quebec and Birminham UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 13 Jan 2010 01:23

I'm looking for any information about some family members of mine please. John Hunter, his Wife Grace and their two Daughters Melanie and Janet, arrived in Liverpool on 1st May 1954, from Quebec in Canada. John was born in Barrow In Furness Lancashire c1928, I don't know when he left for Canada, only when he arrived back in England. I presume he met his Wife Grace there, Janet was born about 1942 and Melanie 1954, as she was only two months old when they sailed back here.
On the Ship's list it gives there intended residence as 32 Dover Street, Birmingham, and John's occupation as an auto worker, so I wondered if he may have worked in the car factories in Birmingham?
Any help or advise would be very welcome, many thanks.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jan 2010 02:54

John's birth registration shows he was born in late 1927. Unfortunately he had no middle name/initial, which is useful for searching death records. I don't see a death in the Birmingham area with that birth year, or one for a Grace Hunter born 1925-35 in that area.

There also is no Melanie Hunter or Janet Hunter marriage in that area; the closest would be a couple of Janets in Staffordshire.

Another thing is that while their port of departure was Quebec they could have been living anywhere west of there, all the way to the west coast, so looking for any Canadian records (which would likely not be accessible anyway because of privacy rules) would be not really possible.

If he was an auto worker they likely lived in Ontario, either in Windsor or the Oshawa area, the two auto plant centres.

Sorry to say not much help from the Canadian end!

Marion

Marion Report 15 Jan 2010 00:11

Thanks for your advise Janey, I can't see any way of progressing with this one, I appreciate your help!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 Jan 2010 20:22

The one thing I'd recommend is getting his birth certificate to have his exact birthdate - you can get the details at FreeBMD

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

and order the certificate here

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

With an exact dob you (or someone else) can search the death records more effectively. If he died before 2005 the death certificate might give you a family name.

I just noticed a bit of a discrepancy. He was born in late 1927, and you say daughter Janet was born c1942. That doesn't really work. ;) 1952?

I'm going to send you a bit of possible info about a Janet.