Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hunter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Babette

Babette Report 1 Dec 2006 13:19

Please could someone help me with the following? I am trying to trace the family of my great grandad Charles William Hunter. Born 1879 Ramsbury, Wiltshire – 1901 census Married 1900 in Hungerford to Jane Matthews – marriage certificate Died 1934 in Reading, Berkshire – death certificate On his marriage certificate it states his dad’s name as Charles Hunter (deceased). I found 3 possibilities for his birth and ordered all 3 birth certificates to try and confirm which one was correct. This is where I have the problem. The one birth certificate that I think is correct states mothers name as Mary A Hunter nee Lawrence and his father’s name as Richard Hunter and not Charles Hunter as on the marriage certificate. So I checked the 1881 and 1891 census and I have found a Charles Hunter living in Hungerford with his mother Mary A (widow) and sister Rachel. Mary A ties in with the birth certificate and his mother is a widow so this ties in with the marriage certificate as father being deceased but it still doesn’t help if this is the right family. What I would like to know is Charles / Richard the same person, as I have not come across anything to say if either name may be a middle name. Is there any other way of confirming Charles’s father’s name? Does anyone know where I could look for this information? Or does anyone have any of the above people in their family tree that confirms or denies if I have the right family? Many thanks in advance look forward to hearing from you. Regards Babette Hunter